Help convince me I am not crazy for buying a TJ (so I can convince my wife)

I got one!

I bought this 2001 TJ. It is from South Carolina it’s whole life. A local salvage/tow company operator was picking something up in NC and saw this in FB and bought it. He brought it to PA and put it in his pole barn and did not drive it. I had my local mechanic give it a full inspection and he gave it a big thumbs up.

Manual
6 cylinder
164,000 miles
Perfect frame in and out (pictures below)
Stock everything
$9,000

I feel fortunate to have gotten this without having to travel or have something shipped. Thanks for all the help along the way. Now I can move on to the next step of ownership, dreaming of what to do with it! Probably gonna keep it stock, may upgrade wheels and tires.

View attachment 221019

View attachment 221020

View attachment 221021
Congrats! You did good!

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
Nice find, good condition, good colors too. First order of business, rust protection and maintenance. Worry about cosmetics later.

Welcome to the club, congratulations.

I am planning on immediately doing the treatment inside the frame and painting the outside. It is staying in my garage also.
Will you drive it in the winter? If not and there’s truly zero rust, I wouldn’t paint it. Just do a healthy fluid film coating (frame and body undercarriage especially inside all the holes and channels) every fall. And don’t drive it in the winter here in the NE and you’ll be golden. There’s something about a perfect frame that hasn’t been painted. The stuff that Arizona jeeps are made of lol.

I am planning on immediately doing the treatment inside the frame and painting the outside. It is staying in my garage also.

I would pull the skid plate off and put some anti-seize on the bolts, clean up and hit the frame and skid with some chassis paint where they mate up. Drill frame holes (drains) and power wash the frame out. Treat with fluid film or protectant of your choice. Repeat every year if you drive in the salt. Don't go too crazy with the chassis paint, can be a turn off for buyers when you go to sell it.

Other than that, address any maintenance / repairs it needs and enjoy the heck out of it. You picked a good one from the story and the pictures. I dig the green / tan combo. Hope you have some good adventures in it.

Man I can't say enough about seeing somebody get on here and listen to what's being said and making a good decision.

Why? Because this forum just made a positive difference for someone.

It speaks well of all of us. Folks watching out for each other...and you being smart enough to get on here and ask questions.

I would pull the skid plate off and put some anti-seize on the bolts, clean up and hit the frame and skid with some chassis paint where they mate up. Drill frame holes (drains) and power wash the frame out. Treat with fluid film or protectant of your choice. Repeat every year if you drive in the salt. Don't go too crazy with the chassis paint, can be a turn off for buyers when you go to sell it.

Other than that, address any maintenance / repairs it needs and enjoy the heck out of it. You picked a good one from the story and the pictures. I dig the green / tan combo. Hope you have some good adventures in it.
Thanks for the tips! Sounds like a plan.
I was not searching based on color, really would have taken anything. I happen to love this combo just by chance. Plus I am a huge Eagles fan so the green is a sweet coincidence.
The car fax shows 2 owners, GA for a 3 years and SC ever since. Totally clean carfax, minor accident in 2004.

Reactions: AMS417
Man I can't say enough about seeing somebody get on here and listen to what's being said and making a good decision.

Why? Because this forum just made a positive difference for someone.

It speaks well of all of us. Folks watching out for each other...and you being smart enough to get on here and ask questions.
I have to tell you I was tempted to jump at a few that had minimal rust but I was patient just long enough to get lucky with this one. He had it listed for $12k and it was on FB for 11 weeks. I wrote him and said if he ever changes his mind I would pay $9k. He took it.

Reactions: AndyG and jazngab
Thanks for the tips! Sounds like a plan.
I was not searching based on color, really would have taken anything. I happen to love this combo just by chance. Plus I am a huge Eagles fan so the green is a sweet coincidence.
The car fax shows 2 owners, GA for a 3 years and SC ever since. Totally clean carfax, minor accident in 2004.
Patience paid off. You could have ended up with a clapped out 4 cylinder with rusted out fenders. Now look at you!

I would change the wheels, don't put huge tires on it though. Tires on there look pretty decent for your mission already.

Patience paid off. You could have ended up with a clapped out 4 cylinder with rusted out fenders. Now look at you!

I would change the wheels, don't put huge tires on it though. Tires on there look pretty decent for your mission already.
The 4 cylinder discussion happened towards the end of my search, I was not prioritizing that until we had that discussion and I added 6 Cyl to my must have list.

I borrowed a coworker’s 4 cyl that he was selling and mannnnn I had the pedal to the floor and cars were still riding my ass hard. Even on my I6 regeared 4.56 I have to run 1st and 2nd to 3000-3200rpms just to accelerate fast enough off a red light.

So @Johnfromphilly what are the plans for this Jeep? Keep it stock? Mild build? Street queen? Off-roader?

I borrowed a coworker’s 4 cyl that he was selling and mannnnn I had the pedal to the floor and cars were still riding my ass hard. Even on my I6 regeared 4.56 I have to run 1st and 2nd to 3000-3200rpms just to accelerate fast enough off a red light.

So @Johnfromphilly what are the plans for this Jeep? Keep it stock? Mild build? Street queen? Off-roader?
Keeping it stock except maybe a wheel and tire upgrade. Also adding a new backseat with headrests since my kids will ride back there. No off-roading except maybe the beach in the off-season. This was bought with the thoughts of driving it around the shore during the summer ( we have a place at the Jersey shore) and taking it out for rides to dinner and around town with the top down. That could change but that was the thought process.

One other detail, the 16 year owner kept the carpet and back seat in her attic, she took them out when she got it and stored them until she sold it. They are virtually brand new. Apparently she just used it to haul her Harley to Daytona and other places.

I got one!

I bought this 2001 TJ. It is from South Carolina it’s whole life. A local salvage/tow company operator was picking something up in NC and saw this in FB and bought it. He brought it to PA and put it in his pole barn and did not drive it. I had my local mechanic give it a full inspection and he gave it a big thumbs up.

Manual
6 cylinder
164,000 miles
Perfect frame in and out (pictures below)
Stock everything
$9,000

I feel fortunate to have gotten this without having to travel or have something shipped. Thanks for all the help along the way. Now I can move on to the next step of ownership, dreaming of what to do with it! Probably gonna keep it stock, may upgrade wheels and tires.

View attachment 221019

View attachment 221020

View attachment 221021
Nice! Glad you found one!

That TJ may need some things... At that mileage point you want to watch the cooling system and so forth but most likely it's not the kind that's going to force you to do things just to enjoy it... It is a wise person that can set their emotions and desires aside and make a logical decision.

that looks like the kind that you can do what you need to and enjoy it as long as you want... It's also good enough to invest in and build to about any level you want to build... Basically you'll be able to make it what you want and you're not going to be fighting an uphill battle.

Don't get disheartened if you run into a few little glitches or have to work a few bugs out of it ... With a 4.0 and overall solid condition... The little stuff is just that... Little stuff.

Cool brother, glad you found one. Looks amazing. Love the color and I agree, some all terrains and some wheel is all you need to make that thing look awesome. Congrats!!

I will look into that and see what it does to the look. Since this is so stock I am thinking I want to keep it that way unless I go deep into mods.
You did mention a budget once...just saying.

There will be lots of ideas now... like when you come home and there’s a pile of brown boxes the UPS guy left, and you walk in and hear your wife sobbing and run back in the bedroom and she’s got a huge handful of sleeping pills and credit card bills laid out everywhere ...and you see the empty bottle and think...that would be perfect for my door bolts and grab it and go stick it in your glove box for spring. Then you remember you need to jump on that oil change....