Help diagnosing a new screech

DeepSouthTJ

My Jeep has started to make an intermittent screech. It is a pretty high pitched/intense sound, and the sound doesn’t change pitch or waver with speed or rpm.

At first, the sound would only show up for a second or two at low speed, seemingly at random. Today it happened right before I was about to shift, and as soon as I went for the next gear the sound stopped. It sounds like it is coming from the front half of the vehicle.

Relevant information, the sound started after I went wheeling last weekend, and the front diff was rebuilt maybe 5k miles ago.

Where does the screech seem to be coming from? Drivetrain, perhaps a driveshaft, or could it be coming from the engine?

I am not 100% sure. It doesn’t sound like any of the bad u joints I’ve had. I would guess either the engine or front axle. Maybe the transmission, but probably not anything further back than that.

Could it be the serpentine belt slipping on one of the engine pulleys? Is the serpentine belt good and tight? It should be tight enough that you can barely deflect it a half-inch or so by pushing hard on it with your thumb between its longest unsupported length.

Reactions: JMT
The belt is only about 8 months old, but I’ll go and check it to be sure. I did dunk the front end into some muck a few times this weekend, maybe that’s related.

But it sounds a little more intense than I thought belt squeal would be.

It looks like it very well may be the belt/tensioner. I can push it down an inch with relative ease. I’ll replace the belt (and maybe tensioner) and see if it goes away.

Thanks

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
(Not going to make a wife joke; not going to make a wife joke; not going to make a wife joke; not goi.......)

Check the idler pulley for the serpentine belt. They screech when the bearing goes bad. Idler pulleys are inexpensive. It would not hurt to change for peace of mind insurance.

This^^^ @DeepSouthTJ