Help diagnosing starting issue

Austinwalker97

Hello, I'm new to this site so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. I was out playing some basketball with some friends from high school last night, and as I got in my 2006 LJ to leave, it wouldn't start. Looking back now I remember the key lock felt weird when I went to take out my key before hand, but I didn't think anything of it until the problem occurred. I have power, as my lights and ac work fine, but the jeep will not crank. I'm thinking it is the ignition switch, but I'm not sure. any advice is welcome.

1. Look at the fuse box at the engine bay passenger side and plug a 10A fuse to bypass the clutch.
2. There is a switch at the clutch pedal towards the bottom floor, look at it, it is already worn out, and so time to replace.

If you decide to do #1, make sure you gear into neutral whenever you start the engine :)
If you do #2, it's pain in the neck to do it yourself :(

Reactions: Chris
If it's the clutch position switch you can bypass it by inserting a 10a fuse into, I think, fuse slot #20. It's described in the Owner's Manual.

If it's not that, and I'm convinced it's not because you said the ignition switch felt different, it's likely the ignition switch actuator pin mounted behind the ignition switch.

This is that part, just a guess it could be the cause... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BYX8W8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
1. Look at the fuse box at the engine bay passenger side and plug a 10A fuse to bypass the clutch.
2. There is a switch at the clutch pedal towards the bottom floor, look at it, it is already worn out, and so time to replace.

If you decide to do #1, make sure you gear into neutral whenever you start the engine :)
If you do #2, it's pain in the neck to do it yourself :(
Thanks! I’ll try to use the fuse trick and hope that works!

If it's the clutch position switch you can bypass it by inserting a 10a fuse into, I think, fuse slot #20. It's described in the Owner's Manual.

If it's not that, and I'm convinced it's not because you said the ignition switch felt different, it's likely the ignition switch actuator pin mounted behind the ignition switch.

This is that part, just a guess it could be the cause... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BYX8W8/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Thanks for the help! Have you ever replaced the actuator pin and if so was it a relatively simple fix?

Thanks for the help! Have you ever replaced the actuator pin and if so was it a relatively simple fix?
I haven't yet done it, I just hope I don't have to do it while I'm on the trail lol. The above video is the way to see how to do it. You'll need a security torx for this job, I put the required size (I forget what size it is, T-10 or close) in the ignition actuator pin box so I'll be sure to have it if I have to replace it on the trail.

Hey thanks for the fuse tip. The other day as I was coming off of the freeway, my jeep died in the middle of the off-ramp. I was stuck. It would crank but not start. I was frustrated because I wanted to use the starter to pull off to the side of the road, but the stupid clutch switch was stopping me. I was going to bypass it permanently as I think that is a stupid safety feature and more times than not, I have wanted that. Also since my TJ is less than a year old to me I am not used to it anyway. Thanks for the tip that seems easier than manually bypassing it.

BTW in case you are interested it ended up being the distributor rotor, the end piece broke off. Weird there was not indication and no sputter on the freeway just down shifted coming off of the freeway, and when I stopped the engine died politely and wouldn't restart. I towed it back home did a fuel pressure test because it was the easiest place to start then found it was good, but ended up no spark so I pulled the cap and low and behold broken rotor. Changed to a premium cap and rotor and now it roars like a pussy cat.

Anyway didn't mean to jack this thread just found it interesting.

Carry on my friends.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Ended up being the actuator pin. Threw in a new one today and the Jeeps running good as new. Not the easiest fix I've done, but definitely not the hardest. The worst part was today was the coldest day of the year here in NC. Still thawing out. Thanks for all the help guys.

Reactions: CodaMan and ac_
Ended up being the actuator pin. Threw in a new one today and the Jeeps running good as new. Not the easiest fix I've done, but definitely not the hardest. The worst part was today was the coldest day of the year here in NC. Still thawing out. Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks for the followup. It is important, it can possibly help others that end up with the same symptoms.

Reactions: CodaMan