HELP diagnosing transmission problems after swap

Gary06LJ

Supporting Member
I feel like Im going to have to drop my transmission a 4th time and im trying to hang onto the mantra jeep life. Please HELP. Heres my story/situation:

Bought my first jeep back in April, an 06 Red LJ. Couldn’t be happier hitting the trails and finally not relying on my friends with 4x4 to go places. Well I ended up bottoming out onto the skid plate pretty good and knocking out the reverse gear/piston. Only reputable trans place in town wanted 5k but had friends say they could help me out with the replacement so I ordered a remanufactured unit. I was completely lost but helped out with what I could. Ended up installing torque converter into flywheel first and ended up destroying the front pump (unaware it was front pump at the time). Dropped a second time and installed a new torque converter as we thought we had fried it. Ran fine but would not engage any gears (sigh). Now I knew it was front pump. How many times I asked myself how I didn’t come across any trouble shooting for that I don’t know.

So now I just dropped it a 3rd time this weekend and mostly by myself which I am very proud of. Took it into the shop for a quick learn to complete the set up as all seemed to be going smoothly. It was in limp mode driving there which wasn’t out of the ordinary from what he said. Well turns out its throwing P0700 and the TCM won’t respond. Ive posted a picture of the report but some main things that have happend are:
IMG_1545.jpg
IMG_1546.jpg
IMG_1547.jpg
IMG_1534.JPG

>Slipping into Drive
>Overheating 197 to 205(trans temp during diagnostics)
>RPM at 3k around 40mph, not going over 40mph.

I did install the Derale direct fit trans cooler on the first attempt.

I flushed the transmission fluid including dropping the pan on the new unit and replacing filter and removing all metal shavings on the most recent drop.

I did not pressure clear the lines with an air hose but the force of fluid that was coming out was pretty good. Did a 3-4quart flush.

The torque converter was more difficult to get on requiring 2 hands and a good push in each direction to get it seated. (This is what is bugging me).

I didn’t know you’re supposed to grease the pilot on the TC so that was not done.

I’ll be going back in the next day or 2 to re check the wiring harness and anything obvious I might have missed as I was pretty exhausted. But I definitely feel above my pay grade here.
Has anyone run into any of these problems? Did I mess something up?

I really don’t want to throw a new TCM at it just to see if it sticks. Im aware of wrangler fix. Hes a Very nice guy. Im almost at the breakeven point of having let the shop do it. Also he’s booked until October so also not an option. PLEASE HELP guide me in the right direction!

Hopefully it's just your PCM that has blown where it commonly does in its transmission control module section. That's a big problem with 05/06 models. Talk with Mark (it doesn't sound like you have yet) @Wranglerfix www.wranglerfix.com who is an expert with 05/06 transmission issues in the PCM. He says when the TCM blows in the PCM it looks like a .410 shotgun shell went off through it.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
So went to take a look at everything again. Upon starting up it would not shift into drive or reverse but eventually a hard shift into both. Only drove it 10ft before felt shuddering and the dredded whirring noise. Went to drive it up ramps and it was going in and out of gear and barely made it up the ramps as the shuddering got worse( vehicle shaking at rest). No check engine light and no codes which is weird since i drove it home with the light on. Talked to Mark. Was gonna go that route until i felt the shuddering which was after i talked to him. Back to the drawing board.