Help Identify Leak from above skid plate

TheDude

Hi All, I recently purchased a TJ and noticed that it is leaking something from right above the skid plate. I don't believe that it is the rear main seal, but I am attaching photos for reference. Any help would be much appreciated!
IMG_8356.jpg

IMG_8357.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhere above that mount on the exhaust side there is a weep hole near where the transmission and transfer case bolt up.
Either the transmission output seal is leaking, or the transfer case input seal. In a manual you should be able to see a difference in the fluid to establish which is leaking. In an auto, both use the same fluid so the only way to find out which is leaking is to separate the two.

Reactions: macleanflood
Somewhere above that mount on the exhaust side there is a weep hole near where the transmission and transfer case bolt up.
Either the transmission output seal is leaking, or the transfer case input seal. In a manual you should be able to see a difference in the fluid to establish which is leaking. In an auto, both use the same fluid so the only way to find out which is leaking is to separate the two.

Thank you! It is a manual 4.0. How would i be able to tell the difference in the liquid?

How would i be able to tell the difference in the liquid?

Taste of course! One tastes really bad, and the other tastes a lot worse.....

You could also go for smell if you're not up for a good ol tasting. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember right the trans fluid should actually smell kind of sweet, the transfer case fluid should smell like pure death.

Last edited:
Taste of course! One tastes really bad, and the other tastes a lot worse.....

You could also go for smell if you're not up for a good ol tasting. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if I reminder right the trans fluid should actually smell kind of sweet, the transfer case fluid should smell like pure death.

haha thanks! am I able to drive it like this or could it cause major damage?

There should be a red tinge to transmission case fluid which is ATF. Any ATF can be used to refill or top up if it needs it. Transmission fluid could vary in colour.

Transmission oil can vary upon owner preference, and on early or late model boxes which are different.

Easiest way to see if the fluid levels are ok it to remove the fill plugs. Fluid should be level with the fill hole.

Transfer case fill and drain plugs are in the rear with hex key sockets required.

Transmission fill and drain depend on transmission model which varies with model years.

97-99 4.0 have AX-15 with fill plug on driver's side near the clutch slave cylinder. Drain is on the other side.
Not sure about other years without looking it up.