Help identifying cut Rubicon locker pump wires

JasonInMass

Ima dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude
Supporting Member
I’m trouble shooting my lockers and I found cut wires. The two empty plugs are for the locker pumps but what is third snipped one for?

4882E8F0-EA73-43B4-9339-156A0AE0BE3D.jpeg

That 3rd one could be for the speedometer pickup. Stock 241 transfer case? Is your speedometer working? That's the only other connector I can think of that would be at the back of the skidplate like that one.

The cut compressor wires may be a good thing, perhaps the previous owner installed replacement wiring and switches. Are there non-factory locker switches installed? Were the compressors relocated off of the tcase skidplate where the factory installed them?

Reactions: John Cooper
That 3rd one could be for the speedometer pickup. Stock 241 transfer case? Is your speedometer working? That's the only other connector I can think of that would be at the back of the skidplate like that one.

The cut compressor wires may be a good thing, perhaps the previous owner installed replacement wiring and switches. Are there non-factory locker switches installed? Were the compressors relocated off of the tcase skidplate where the factory installed them?
Thanks Jerry - the speedometer is working and the compressors are still on the skid plate. There is no sign of replacement wiring although there was a rear locker aftermarket switch in the dash that wasn't wired. But I thought that was an attempt at a locker override. I could be very wrong with that guess.

Thanks Jerry - the speedometer is working and the compressors are still on the skid plate. There is no sign of replacement wiring although there was a rear locker aftermarket switch in the dash that wasn't wired. But I thought that was an attempt at a locker override. I could be very wrong with that guess.
It sounds like the previous owner may have started to rewire them but didn't carry through. The factory locker system is way too complex and there's just too many ways it can screw up and stop working. My present TJ's lockers weren't working when I got it so, even with a solid electrical/electronic background, knew I didn't want to bother trying to troubleshoot it. So, like wiring up a couple 12 volt light bulbs, I rewired it after moving the compressors into the engine compartment. Power, 5-amp fuse, on-off switch, compressor... a very simple thing to wire up.

This is where I moved my compressors to and mounted the switches. Not to mention having individual switches means you can run either locker you need if the situation calls for something like a front locker-only situation where you need to make a really tight turn. Unlocking just the rear locker allows for significantly tighter turns since the rear axle won't be trying to push you straight ahead.

LockerCompressors.jpg

Locker Switches 2.JPG

Reactions: JasonInMass
It sounds like the previous owner may have started to rewire them but didn't carry through. The factory locker system is way too complex and there's just too many ways it can screw up and stop working. My present TJ's lockers weren't working when I got it so, even with a solid electrical/electronic background, knew I didn't want to bother trying to troubleshoot it. So, like wiring up a couple 12 volt light bulbs, I rewired it after moving the compressors into the engine compartment. Power, 5-amp fuse, on-off switch, compressor... a very simple thing to wire up.

This is where I moved my compressors to and mounted the switches. Not to mention having individual switches means you can run either locker you need if the situation calls for something like a front locker-only situation where you need to make a really tight turn. Unlocking just the rear locker allows for significantly tighter turns since the rear axle won't be trying to push you straight ahead.

View attachment 215387
View attachment 215386
Thanks again. I’ve read up and have seen this locker set up around. Looks great! Seems like I may have found my next project. 😁
Thanks a ton. The cut wires are for the axle harness that leads to the rear switch indicator/locker sensor. which is missing. I took everything apart to better understand what's what and I also noticed (I'm an idiot) that the hose to the rear locker is missing as well. The factory locker port for the hose was capped off on the diff which led me to notice the other port (duh) with no hose either. Seems like one of the PO's had that aftermarket rear locker switch functioning at some point.

View attachment 215387

View attachment 215387

View attachment 215386

Hey Jerry, do you mind showing me how you wired your rear locker pump up? I’m not great at understanding wiring and am hoping to do the same thing as you…