Help identifying tire carrier bumper

Teddydogno1

My LJ came to me with this aftermarket back bumper with tire and gas can carrier. I don't really see the need for 2 jerry cans and this really puts a lot of mass WAY out back. It has a 2" receiver, but I also don't know if it is actually tow-rated (as I might want to use that 3500 lb towing capacity some day). It seems to be very solid and doesn't sag when opened.

I didn't see a maker mark or sticker on it and the PO didn't know. Any ideas? Or just general thoughts on keeping it vs. replacing vs. going back to stock-type tire carrier? If I keep it, might go with one gas can and one water can.

You can see the PO also mounted a Hi-Lift-type jack on it, as well as a mount point for the CB antenna. The 2 cans are painted black and are rusty under the bottom edge of the cans. Don't know if they can be refurbished.

jeep_backbumper1_small.jpg

jeep_backbumper2_small.jpg
jeep_backbumper3_small.jpg

I forgot to get on from the other side, including the latch.

Thoughts and comments are welcome!

Rob

Do you intend to utilize the gas cans? As you said before it is a lot of weight back there and if you don't plan any long overland adventures then it seems like a big anchor. I think keeping the spare close to the body is better. Something like an Exogate, maybe? If you need gas cans then maybe find a carrier that mounts them on the sides. The hi-lift would be better between the rollcage in the back instead of being on the bumper. Just an opinion of course.

Reactions: DrDmoney
You could remove the tire carrier arm, clean up the existing bumper, and get an Exogate as mentioned by @dmurdie. Few of the rear bumper manufacturers will rate their receiver setup for towing.

Reactions: DrDmoney
My LJ came to me with this aftermarket back bumper with tire and gas can carrier. I don't really see the need for 2 jerry cans and this really puts a lot of mass WAY out back. It has a 2" receiver, but I also don't know if it is actually tow-rated (as I might want to use that 3500 lb towing capacity some day). It seems to be very solid and doesn't sag when opened.

I didn't see a maker mark or sticker on it and the PO didn't know. Any ideas? Or just general thoughts on keeping it vs. replacing vs. going back to stock-type tire carrier? If I keep it, might go with one gas can and one water can.

You can see the PO also mounted a Hi-Lift-type jack on it, as well as a mount point for the CB antenna. The 2 cans are painted black and are rusty under the bottom edge of the cans. Don't know if they can be refurbished.

View attachment 101348

View attachment 101349View attachment 101350

I forgot to get on from the other side, including the latch.

Thoughts and comments are welcome!

Rob
Unless you are the guy in the Camel cigarette ad, you don’t need all that , all the time . It makes you look prepared , I will give it that .

The hi lift is almost dead weight .

One can for water or fuel , kept empty unless bound for the desert and you need water to live is a good strategy , and remember today’s ethanol fuel ages fast.

The extra step to unlock and swing before you loan open the gate is a pain, I know first hand.

Typically you have to lift on these types to close them as the tire gets a ton of leverage on the hinge.

I bet the center horseshoe piece inside was scavenged off a stinger front bumper .

If it works smooth , I’d run it til I got my total build planned...odds are time will help you decide.