Help me baseline my LJ for the Red Clay Rally

csaxj3

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A buddy and I have entered into the Red Clay Rally which takes place this October in the Southeast.

Several friends have done this over the previous years and said I'd be crazy not to do it. This timed perfectly with the acquisition of the 04 LJ this past February, as I wanted to build a nice light flexy trail rig to complement my Toyota build. So I entered the LJ into the rally.

Not to make this a build thread, I've done a few things here or there from it's completely stock state to where we are today. In preparation for the rally, I really want to baseline as much as needed / recommended for a 17 year old vehicle with 104k on it. Goal is to have this as reliable and ready as possible, both from an ownership standpoint as well as for 3 days of shenanigans this fall.

I'd love to hear suggestions and recommendations for what I need to address, I'll make a spreadsheet and keep this updated as it might also serve to help others who are looking for similar suggestions.

What has been done so far:
- Power / ground cables replaced from custombattery cables
- Oil changed 2x now
- T-case fluid replaced during SYE install
- Currie trac bar is sitting in garage and will be going on probably this weekend
- air filter replaced

What I've got down to do over the next couple of months:
- coolant flush and refill
- Diffs will be serviced as 5.13's and ARB's are going in within the month - waiting for bay time at the shop (owner is on CO/UT overland trip)
- 43 tooth speedo gear
- breathers identified and extended where necessary
- another oil change
- new AGM battery

Aside from those items what else should I do?
- transmission flush and refill? Service history on it is unknown
- any belt replacements?
- spark plugs?

Teach me the ways and help me get this thing base-lined!

Gratuitous pic :)

IMG_6936.jpg

Damn, this sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

I'd just check the belts and plugs and if they look good keep running 'em. Check the steering and make sure it's in good shape.

You'll want some spare fluids and serpentine belt. You can zip tie the belt to the grille support rods to keep it out of the way. Invest in good quality recovery gear (TRE is a great brand). Depending on the level of trails it may be worth acquiring a spare front/rear axle shaft.

Damn, this sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

I'd just check the belts and plugs and if they look good keep running 'em. Check the steering and make sure it's in good shape.

You'll want some spare fluids and serpentine belt. You can zip tie the belt to the grille support rods to keep it out of the way. Invest in good quality recovery gear (TRE is a great brand). Depending on the level of trails it may be worth acquiring a spare front/rear axle shaft.

If I understand correctly 90% of it is the Kentucky Adventure Trail and the Daniel Boone Byway. Only about 15% of it from what I'm told is technical and the rest are basically forest tracks. Tacoma's, 4Runners, etc.. run it fine with sliders and 33's.

I've got a good bit of nice recovery gear already that I'll transfer from the Toyota to the LJ prior to the rally.

Good call on the belt, I'll snag one!

If I understand correctly 90% of it is the Kentucky Adventure Trail and the Daniel Boone Byway. Only about 15% of it from what I'm told is technical and the rest are basically forest tracks. Tacoma's, 4Runners, etc.. run it fine with sliders and 33's.

I've got a good bit of nice recovery gear already that I'll transfer from the Toyota to the LJ prior to the rally.

Good call on the belt, I'll snag one!
Nice! I've seen some photos of those trails and they look like some good fun while still being semi-tame for anything on 35" tires

Rally prep update:

- 5.13's and ARB's installed
- Currie steering installed
- fox shocks all around (had to mod lower rear spring perch for clearence
- speedo gear
- breathers extended where needed

Currently getting inner seals replaced as I noticed a front passenger leak after gear/locker install in the Dana 30. Should have it back this week and will continue the gear break in.

As for the trails, it will all be the Kentucky Adventure Trail and DBBB. Mapping was completed over the weekend and due to feedback there are a lot more "hard tracks" selected for the run, but most will be "easier" than expected. Mapping team ran 3 Toyota's (2 4runners and a taco on 33/34's) and they were able to complete. Hard tracks = tough connectors throughout the course.

Based on folks I know who have run previous years - all have said a locked LJ will have a hoot on the rally and it's more about the fun of the event vs gnarly stuff.

Fun starts at 11:00 from last years rally:

Can someone be so kind to point me in the direction of an AGM battery I can snag locally this week? We have all the major auto stores so I'd prefer one from them as I can pick it up. I know there are variations and want to make sure I get the right one.

Rally prep update:

- 5.13's and ARB's installed
- Currie steering installed
- fox shocks all around (had to mod lower rear spring perch for clearence
- speedo gear
- breathers extended where needed

Currently getting inner seals replaced as I noticed a front passenger leak after gear/locker install in the Dana 30. Should have it back this week and will continue the gear break in.

As for the trails, it will all be the Kentucky Adventure Trail and DBBB. Mapping was completed over the weekend and due to feedback there are a lot more "hard tracks" selected for the run, but most will be "easier" than expected. Mapping team ran 3 Toyota's (2 4runners and a taco on 33/34's) and they were able to complete. Hard tracks = tough connectors throughout the course.

Based on folks I know who have run previous years - all have said a locked LJ will have a hoot on the rally and it's more about the fun of the event vs gnarly stuff.

Fun starts at 11:00 from last years rally:

Can someone be so kind to point me in the direction of an AGM battery I can snag locally this week? We have all the major auto stores so I'd prefer one from them as I can pick it up. I know there are variations and want to make sure I get the right one.
I just bought a Duracell AGM marine battery at Sam's for $119.00.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produ...MI6oKeoc6C8wIV2z2tBh2bJwvbEAAYASAAEgIMO_D_BwE
It comes with a 60 month warranty

I have had this Battery for about a year now with no issue. It’s a little pricey but I run an ARB fridge and wanted something that would allow me to run the fridge for a few days w/o starting the Jeep.

It’s held up to some abuse so far! Looking forward to seing how it holds up compared to my old Yellow top, that unfortunately failed just over a month out of the warranty window

Upgraded front axles shafts? That's the first thing I broke on my TJR with 33's. Broke a rear last weekend on the LJR but its on 37's.

Upgraded front axles shafts? That's the first thing I broke on my TJR with 33's. Broke a rear last weekend on the LJR but its on 37's.

It's on the list but don't know if it will make the cut before the rally.

Honestly the rally will be feedback on if a big brake kit, new shafts, etc. and 285/75/17's (34x11) are needed :p

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell...-size-sl34magm/prod3590225?xid=plp_product_17

Seems like a very good battery. Batteries Plus sells the same battery for $179 or $189, can't remember. Since installing it, as suggested by @mrblaine, I no longer have some Transmission Control Module codes.
I bought the Duracell AGM for our GC Overland a couple of years ago. Works so well that I got one for my LJR. BTW, you can get 10% discount by buying online and picking it up at your local store.

It's on the list but don't know if it will make the cut before the rally.

Honestly the rally will be feedback on if a big brake kit, new shafts, etc. and 285/75/17's (34x11) are needed :p
Its pretty simple to install fronts. Watch Amazon, Ten Factory are under $300 on occasion.

It looks like the warranty is a lot better with batteries plus, not sure if it's the exact same battery.
It's the exact same battery but B+ didn't have it in stock plus I figured saving $70 was worth 30 months less warranty I may not need. It was surprisingly difficult to find an AGM battery with extra posts here.