Help me build my TJ for Jeep Wrangler TJ Fest in Moab 2021

TJTurley

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello Jeepers! I’m new to the forum...I’m thinking about taking my 2000 TJ to the fest in Moab next spring. I want to buy quality parts that would be essential to have for the trail, also maintaining the classic look of the TJ. My Jeep has a 4” lift, 33” ridge grapplers with fuel rims & fox shocks. Please help me with the other essentials needed...my trail knowledge is limited to flat mud & sand trails with mostly 20 years of daily driving “Big Red”. I have a Wk2 JGC now for daily, so let the trail mods begin! :cool:

Hello and welcome to the forum, from your profile it looks like you may be equipped to handle most of what is in Moab. Pay attention to your regular maintenance issues, fluids, belts, tune up etc. Am assuming you are driving your TJ from Florida so those items are very important. As you know there is a ton of good information on the how to do sections and great advice from all the friendly people here. Hope to see you there.

Your TJ looks capable as it sits. I don't know what your gearing is, but if you're at least 3.73 with the 33's you should be good. Lower would be better but you can make it work. I would say you should concentrate on recovery equipment and keep the Jeep well maintained.

Hello and welcome to the forum, from your profile it looks like you may be equipped to handle most of what is in Moab. Pay attention to your regular maintenance issues, fluids, belts, tune up etc. Am assuming you are driving your TJ from Florida so those items are very important. As you know there is a ton of good information on the how to do sections and great advice from all the friendly people here. Hope to see you there.
Thank you Steve! I’m looking into having the Jeep shipped possibly... the longest trip for us was GA to upstate NY...21hrs of misery. :p

Your TJ looks capable as it sits. I don't know what your gearing is, but if you're at least 3.73 with the 33's you should be good. Lower would be better but you can make it work. I would say you should concentrate on recovery equipment and keep the Jeep well maintained.
Wench types? Brands?

Reliability is more important than anything else in Moab. Create a spare parts box and a place to keep it in the TJ.

Besides that, lockers and gears will be your friend. If you have a locked TJ on 33’s that is somewhat light, you’ll be able to tackle most trails in Moab with ease. Full doors and a hardtop make some of the steeper climbs in Moab less fun.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I'd look at your drive shafts and be sure all the Ujoints are good and tight. Same for the front axle Ujoints. As said, fluids and filters are key. A new drive belt and idler and tensioner pulley are a good idea. Steering good and tight.
What was so miserable about that last roadtrip? Other than ending up in NY I mean.🤔
Have a decent tool kit and some spare parts in the back. Try and be as light as possible, but still have what you may need. Don't forget the fire extinguisher.
Be sure to get plenty of pics to share. Enjoy.

Thank you Steve! I’m looking into having the Jeep shipped possibly... the longest trip for us was GA to upstate NY...21hrs of misery. :p
Chris's reply from another thread:
you can always have the vehicle shipped via https://u-ship.com. Just got to make sure you give them plenty of time to pick it up and deliver it on time.

Can't tell you how many times I've had vehicles shipped using U-Ship. Never had a bad experience, other than one time some guy was very late delivering my vehicle. However, in all fairness, that was my fault for not looking into the company more in-depth before going with their bid.

Chris's reply from another thread:
you can always have the vehicle shipped via https://u-ship.com. Just got to make sure you give them plenty of time to pick it up and deliver it on time.

Can't tell you how many times I've had vehicles shipped using U-Ship. Never had a bad experience, other than one time some guy was very late delivering my vehicle. However, in all fairness, that was my fault for not looking into the company more in-depth before going with their bid.
(y) Yes I looked into uship for shipping a boat one time. Good to know they have a good reputation!

I'd look at your drive shafts and be sure all the Ujoints are good and tight. Same for the front axle Ujoints. As said, fluids and filters are key. A new drive belt and idler and tensioner pulley are a good idea. Steering good and tight.
What was so miserable about that last roadtrip? Other than ending up in NY I mean.🤔
Have a decent tool kit and some spare parts in the back. Try and be as light as possible, but still have what you may need. Don't forget the fire extinguisher.
Be sure to get plenty of pics to share. Enjoy.
Thank you for the suggestions! 21 hrs in the rain on highway in a soft top...😩

What spare parts?

Rock rails are essential. Skid plates are always a good idea. Rear locker if you don't have one.
(y) Do they make locker switches for front & rear in the TJ aftermarket Or is that just found in newer jeeps? Brands?