Help me diagnose this squealing / chatter (video)

lunchbox3

First I thought this was a bad pulley or belt, but that's not where the sound seems to be coming from. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the vehicle, maybe right below where the firewall is? Hard to really isolate. Check out the video for the sound. My neighbor thinks it could be an exhaust issue, I've got no clue.

• Sad
Reactions: JMT
x2, exhaust leak was my first thought. Sounds like a substantial leak. You could hunt around and find that I'm sure.

Reactions: lunchbox3
Definitely sounds like an exhaust leak to me.
Thanks Chris. I'll go double check that the manifold bolts are tight and then I'll scoot under there to see if I can find any issues. Are there particular failure points that I could pay attention to?

Thanks Chris. I'll go double check that the manifold bolts are tight and then I'll scoot under there to see if I can find any issues. Are there particular failure points that I could pay attention to?

Not that I'm aware of. You'll just have to poke around and see unfortunately. A soapy water test might yield some results.

With that kind of leak, follow the sound, also look for any fine moisture particles spitting out upon start up.