Help me id problem: bad rotor or bad wheel hub

eastbloc

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Both rotor and hub are new and have not seen offroad or potholes.
Squeaking is what got my attention, as a result visually i noticed that wheel is doing roughly the same wobble while driving but hard to tell due to tire imperfection and lack of vibration.

Relevant history:
Had severe vibrating issues. Initially replaced wheel hubs which made no difference, and they had to be replaced twice because studs were sitting all sorts of crooked in the 1st set.
Replacing rotors has eliminated vibrations, but introduced the squeak. After rotors calipers were replaced with no difference.

It sounds like a cracked pad and or something rubbing (backing plate?). Pull the pads and caliper, ensure they’re safely out of the way and do not step on the brake while off. See if the noise is still there.

I’m assuming the rotor has run out do to not having tight lug nuts etc to seat it

I was a bit over my head with multitasking today, did not think straight when i started this thread.
I should have take a deep breath, gather my thoughts and have taken a rotor off to see if hub is wobbling, as well as swap left and right rotors places.
Thank you guys, i am looking at this situation with a clear mind now.

Reactions: pagrey
My adventure with defective parts is like a gift that keeps on giving, turns out this is another defective wheel hub from Timken.
1st set had one with studs sitting crooked and and another with a significant run out, it was very obvious as soon as i had hubs spinning.
This 2nd replacement set has one with a slight run out, visually it is unnoticeable but to the touch it is there. With rotors and wheels mounted it becomes very apparent.

If you are in the market for wheel hubs, be mindful that Timken probably has a bad batch circulating right now.