Help me pick ACC carpet color for black Jeep? ACC = luxury Jeep carpet

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Probably going to decide on just plain old black. But thought I would open it up to discussion. And share a little bit about ACC carpet. The thickest Jeep carpet I've found so far. And surprisingly one of the least expensive for a full set including rocker panels. My goal is sound deadening. And making the inside of my Jeep as nice as possible. I'm not a big off roader. I tend to steer clear of anything harsher than old logging roads in the PNW:

Ignore the sample on the right. Even though I think I like that color best it does not come in the thick pile that I want. These are ACC carpet samples. I'm getting the Essex version. It's a complete carpet kit from Rockauto. Runs about $350. And is thicker than anything else I have found.

https://www.accmats.com/commerce/1999/Jeep/Wrangler/Flooring/22528/ That's the Wrangler TJ page for complete sets of their thickest carpet called Essex. You can select Cutpile for their thinner cheaper version. Which is still pretty good. I'd say it's on par with OEM. Maybe a little better.

The photos don't match the actual carpet. Unfortunately. Because some of the pic colors look awesome. But you can request as many as 5 samples at a time here. They sent them to me free in like two days:

https://www.accmats.com/customer-care/ Click on Color Sample Request.

Here is the sale page on Rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1999,wrangler,4.0l+l6,1431777,interior,flooring,1264
And a page with more info and a video:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6048492&cc=1431777&jsn=36
Two pics of the carpet set and the two different piles"

My dash and door panels are dk slate, my seats will be black 03-06 style with a bit of charcoal pattern on the front (basically looks black), black roll bar covers (once I replace or repaint them). And of course all the metal is black. Soft top is khaki diamond. Kind of green/grey color. I used to be into all black vehicles. And swore them off several years ago. Just hard to keep clean. But this was the best deal on a TJ I could find. So I guess it's back to black for me.

I'm leaning towards the black. Even though it will show more things. The grey just seems to light to go with all the black. It matches the dash ok. But with everything else black it just seems like it would look out of place. I was hoping to find a dark grey or black with white flecks in it. Kind of that industrial look carpet. But Bedrug was the only thing that came close to that. I like Bedrug. But it's a lot more expensive. And not nearly as thick as the ACC carpet. They also make a set with sound deadener mat on the back. But it's a good hundred or so more. And I don't need it as I'm laying down sound deadener under the carpet. ACC also sells the nicest set of floor mats for a Jeep I've ever seen. I'll eventually get those to cover this carpet set. Or I may go full plastic throughout.

If you haven't checked out ACC carpets you should. As long as you not mudding or off roading a lot of dirt, mud or water into your vehicle. They are the most luxurious carpets I've found. Meaning thick, soft and make for a quieter interior. If you get a lot of dirt, water or mud in your vehicle I'd go with Bedrug. I think those would come out and dry alot faster. And be alot easier to clean.

So black or grey? (That's my disgusting shop table. Not my computer desk. lol) The stock carpets I have now are black.

Reactions: Fonz54 and RussTJ
I'd inclined to go with black, it hides stains better.

I also think it will match the interior trim as well.

black essex with mass backing - make sure to use the discount code to get the lowest price you can

I've had this carpet kit for several years and it's some of the best money I've spent thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussTJ
My black Rubicon has Black/Khaki dash, grey carpet, and khaki console/seats. The grey actually doesn't look out of place at all. Black gets hot so personally I limit the black fabric/material inside the cab when possible.

Reactions: Reign Mack
My black Rubicon has Black/Khaki dash, grey carpet, and khaki console/seats. The grey actually doesn't look out of place at all. Black gets hot so personally I limit the black fabric/material inside the cab when possible.
Pics please!!! I have the same interior color combo and I’m most likely going with black but would really like to see how the grey looks.

Never installed a TJ kit but I've installed dozens of ACC carpets in old cars. They fit the floor great and usually leave them 1"-2" long on the sides so you can trim for a perfect fit.

Be sure to unroll the carpet and let it sit in the sun for a few hrs before you install.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Never installed a TJ kit but I've installed dozens of ACC carpets in old cars. They fit the floor great and usually leave them 1"-2" long on the sides so you can trim for a perfect fit.

Be sure to unroll the carpet and let it sit in the sun for a few hrs before you install.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I didn't even think of that. Good advice! I'll for sure warm it up.

As far as color. I think Chris is right. I think the grey will show to much dirt and oil. The black won't. I have black in it now. That's very old and thread bare. And I'm sure dirty. But you can't tell. I'll most likely go with black.

Thanks for the trim information too. glad it's like that. Cause I'm laying down a bunch of sound deadener. And that extra room on the sides might save me.

Pics please!!! I have the same interior color combo and I’m most likely going with black but would really like to see how the grey looks.

I will post pics once I do it. I want to do my flares and put my new seats and full doors on first. I think.

black essex with mass backing - make sure to use the discount code to get the lowest price you can

I've had this carpet kit for several years and it's some of the best money I've spent thus far.
Hey LJ, if don't mind me asking, where might we get the discount code ? I am placing an order shortly, for a complete kit w/mass backing, for my 2000 Sport.

Hey LJ, if don't mind me asking, where might we get the discount code ? I am placing an order shortly, for a complete kit w/mass backing, for my 2000 Sport.

4470776938207769 This one is for 5% off.

More here - https://www.promocodewatch.com/rockauto-promo-code?coupon=59131553588b6b0300436e2b

It's kind of funky. As you add the code to the "How did you find out about us" box in the cart.

EDIT - It does not appear to show that box in the cart. But it does show it in checkout. Not sure if you have to checkout in order to get the discount or not. It worked before. But I've had this cart filled for a several weeks. MAybe it just expired for me. IDK.

Last edited:
Thank You moab !! I found a place named Stock Interiors, they sell the kits at a reasonable price. I'll check this site to compare pricing. Hey did you order yet ?

Thank You moab !! I found a place named Stock Interiors, they sell the kits at a reasonable price. I'll check this site to compare pricing. Hey did you order yet ?

I have not. Post any better deals you might find. Rock auto is pretty solid place to buy though. You might check return policies and what not.

You are spot on sir, I just checked and the price is about $30 cheaper, without the code. Thanks Again !!, Hey I did noticed an item that I'm not ure what they are referring to. When you look and the description for the complete kit, there is an item listed as PADDING, ORDERED SEPARATELY, any idea what hey are talking about ?

You are spot on sir, I just checked and the price is about $30 cheaper, without the code. Thanks Again !!, Hey I did noticed an item that I'm not ure what they are referring to. When you look and the description for the complete kit, there is an item listed as PADDING, ORDERED SEPARATELY, any idea what hey are talking about ?

Which exact set are you buying? If you want Essex and mass backed. I would look closely at the descriptions. It's not the easiest product pages to follow. And make sure you buy the right console option. There's a different set for long and short consoles. If nothing else they must sell padding as well for their sets. But I would check ACC's website first. If that's something you want to buy. If your buying mass backed you don't need it though.

As others have mentioned be prepared to trim the carpet edges to fit. It's made a couple inches longer and wider to accommodate things like padding and sound deadening you might want to add under the carpet. And just to make sure it fits your vehicle perfectly. Also make sure you buy the set that comes with the kick panels. Some don't IIRC.

TO all that are buying. I would highly suggest you request free samples direct from ACC. As the real carpet does not look like the pics on their site or on rock auto. And that 5% discount is ongoing. They almost always have that discount. Might just be a new number. But it's all the time.

But ya. Get samples. I would have ordered something completely different had I not seen samples.

TO all that are buying. I would highly suggest you request free samples direct from ACC. As the real carpet does not look like the pics on their site or on rock auto. And that 5% discount is ongoing. They almost always have that discount. Might just be a new number. But it's all the time.

But ya. Get samples. I would have ordered something completely different had I not seen samples.
Yep, I requested the samples and still deciding the color I want. But before that, i'm doing my tub with Lizard Skin. Yeah you're right, I won't need/order Essex with the Mass Backing, not going to make that much of a difference after the Lizard Skin is applied. I'll just go with the cut pile, it will be about $100 cheaper. Looking for this project to be done !!

Do they make carpet for the sides of the tub? My old Laredo CJ7 had a molded carpet that went under the doors, along the back of the tub, over the wheel wells. I liked the sound deadening it provided and the insulation from the heat of the summer/cold of the winter. Thanks, Tim

never mind, its $1100 for my LJ for everything

Last edited:
Does anybody know what colour would match spice OEM carpets that comes with the Sahara? I understand from previous comments the photos don’t reflect the true colour ?