Help mounting soft top on my LJ

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'm trying to mount the soft top on mu LJ. I bought it with the hard top installed, and the soft top hardware thrown into a box. The videos I've watch start with the frame installed. Once I get my frame installed, the remainder of the install looks pretty straight forward.

I have the windshield header, the two bows, door surrounds, tailgate bar clips, and the tailgate bar. My understanding is the bows attach to the roll bar, but I only seem to have one mounting point. This picture is from a friends TJ.

This my bracket wit one mounting point

This is the hardware I have

This hardware seems mostly extra hardtop mounts, except the white plastic pieces

What am I missing? Anybody have pictures of how their LJ frame mounts?

I can take a couple this afternoon after work for you to see if you think that would help. I can tell you that the two pieces with the pins mount to the top rear of the door surrounds. I don’t recognize the little white/black plastic pieces but I’ve also never had my soft top frame 100% off.

In other news, are you planning to sell your hard top?

Last edited:
I can take a couple this afternoon after work for you to see if you think that would help. I can tell you that the two pieces with the pins mount to the top rear of the door surrounds. I don’t recognize the little white/black plastic pieces but I’ve also never had my soft top frame 100% off.

In other news, are you planning to sell your hard top?

I would appreciate some pictures, at your convenience.

As for selling the hard top, I'm planning to keep it, but if the soft top works out in colder weather, I may change my mind.

You are correct you need another mounting point at least for the TJ, like in your picture.
Does your LJ soft top frame have the same two attaching points like Tj?
Has for the hardware I don’t know what they are I don’t think they go with the soft top because the soft top frame mounts to the Two points on the roll bar and then just clips onto the windshield frame.

Looks like the LJ only has one mounting spot.

You are correct you need another mounting point at least for the TJ, like in your picture.
Does your LJ soft top frame have the same two attaching points like Tj?
Has for the hardware I don’t know what they are I don’t think they go with the soft top because the soft top frame mounts to the Two points on the roll bar and then just clips onto the windshield frame.

I think I figured it out. The picture of the two mounting point bracket, you posted, is for a TJ. As 04LJ posted, and the video posted by Alex01, my hardware mounts to the door surround. And the small bow mounts to the large bow.

I post some pictures when I have my top mounted.

Here's a few pictures of how the LJ soft top frame mounts. Only tools needed were a T30 & T15 torx, and a phillips screwdriver.

Rear bow mounts to single mounting point (T30)
20190530_193221.jpg

U shape bracket mounts to top of door surrounds
20190530_194539.jpg

Brackets installed (T15)
20190530_194755.jpg

Side view
20190530_194820.jpg

Front bow mounts to rear bow (T30)
20190530_201615.jpg

Front bow held in U shaped brackets by bracket pin.
20190530_201627.jpg

Front bow held in U shaped brackets by bracket pin. (from the top)
20190530_201705.jpg

Reactions: Alex01
Can you advise what size bolts hold the bracket onto the roll bar? I'm trying to put a soft top on my LJ as well....