Help Needed After New Installing PCM

If it is, that's fairly silly. Especially given how many rigs I've worked on that have block heaters.
I think most vehicles can be ordered with a block heater but I believe it was Ford that had a list of states where vehicles ordered for those states get one by default. Jeep could be completely different.
Mine was shipped to Wyoming, came with the block heater from the factory and no batter temp sensor.
I'm not saying the two are tied together just giving an example of an item on a vehicle that can be location specified.

Block heaters are also super cheap aftermarket, usually $40 or less. Most are made by Philips and Temro, including most OEM heaters. The aftermarket ones made by Philips and Temro are sold under the brand name Zerostart. They are literally nothing more than a 600 watt water heater element, a freeze plug mount, and a standard 120V cable.

The block heaters do not interface with the PCM or computer at all, and the PCM has no idea one is or is not installed. Mine did not come with one (though I added one aftermarket), and also did not have a battery temperature sensor.

Interestingly enough, the battery temperature sensor logic in the PCM regarding charge voltage adjustment was still active, causing my charging voltage to sit at 13.4V all the time. The PCM, in the absence of a sensor, merely assumed that the battery temperature was always maxed out, regardless of how hot or cold it actually was. (Pretty easy way to kill an AGM.) I went in with a tuner and flattened the curve and now charge at 14.3V.

It might make sense as to northern market TJs being more likely to have them, as in the PCM logic, charging voltage is ramped up from 13.4V all the way to 14.7V as the temperature decreases. This normally would allow the (flooded lead-acid) battery to charge more effectively in cold weather, while protecting it in hotter weather. In warmer climates, I could see an argument that the lack of extreme temperature changes could make it not cost effective, or that the lack of a sensor probably did not kill a battery as fast as it would in northern climates.

Essentially, it probably boiled down to a cost-vs-return selection. If Chrysler hypothetically saw that the lack of a sensor would likely result in the battery failing under warranty, one might be installed. It would be cheaper to add a sensor versus warranty a battery. But if they could get away with doing neither, they probably would.

Reactions: Apparition
also
Block heaters are also super cheap aftermarket, usually $40 or less. Most are made by Philips and Temro, including most OEM heaters. The aftermarket ones made by Philips and Temro are sold under the brand name Zerostart. They are literally nothing more than a 600 watt water heater element, a freeze plug mount, and a standard 120V cable.

The block heaters do not interface with the PCM or computer at all, and the PCM has no idea one is or is not installed. Mine did not come with one (though I added one aftermarket), and also did not have a battery temperature sensor.

Interestingly enough, the battery temperature sensor logic in the PCM regarding charge voltage adjustment was still active, causing my charging voltage to sit at 13.4V all the time. The PCM, in the absence of a sensor, merely assumed that the battery temperature was always maxed out, regardless of how hot or cold it actually was. (Pretty easy way to kill an AGM.) I went in with a tuner and flattened the curve and now charge at 14.3V.

It might make sense as to northern market TJs being more likely to have them, as in the PCM logic, charging voltage is ramped up from 13.4V all the way to 14.7V as the temperature decreases. This normally would allow the (flooded lead-acid) battery to charge more effectively in cold weather, while protecting it in hotter weather. In warmer climates, I could see an argument that the lack of extreme temperature changes could make it not cost effective, or that the lack of a sensor probably did not kill a battery as fast as it would in northern climates.

Essentially, it probably boiled down to a cost-vs-return selection. If Chrysler hypothetically saw that the lack of a sensor would likely result in the battery failing under warranty, one might be installed. It would be cheaper to add a sensor versus warranty a battery. But if they could get away with doing neither, they probably would.

i may end up getting into ECM tuning because I want to get an AGM for my next battery and based on my charge voltage I'm nearly certain I don't have a sensor.

It's funny that I program controllers for a living but I know so little about how a vehicle PCM is set up. I don't hard code anything, so every constant, scale factor, IO channel assignment, etc is an adjustable parameter mapped to an LCD w/ keypad and can be changed by someone with the right password level. Sounds like this at least is adjustable, you just need the tuner since a PCM doesn't have a HMI.

also

i may end up getting into ECM tuning because I want to get an AGM for my next battery and based on my charge voltage I'm nearly certain I don't have a sensor.

It's funny that I program controllers for a living but I know so little about how a vehicle PCM is set up. I don't hard code anything, so every constant, scale factor, IO channel assignment, etc is an adjustable parameter mapped to an LCD w/ keypad and can be changed by someone with the right password level. Sounds like this at least is adjustable, you just need the tuner since a PCM doesn't have a HMI.
For the 05-06 models with the factory PCM, I highly recommend the HPTuners tuner. It gives you access to a number of things, though it appears there are a few things still inaccessible. There is a separate thread that has a how-to on it somewhere on this site.

I don't think anyone has tried tuning a Wranglerfix PCM. Since they are a different core (and the core source is likely a trade secret), HPTuners can't unlock it as if it were a TJ PCM. Maybe one day Mark can sell a tunable one with an "Off-road only" disclaimer or something.

The u1068 and 0633 will clear themselves with about 30-40 cranks. There is no consistency as it happens to some and mot others and all pcms are programmed exactly the same.

The other weird one is some Jeeps have battery temp sensors snd some don’t and there’s no way of telling by the vin. We have the solution but don’t know when the problem will occur. Weird

As far as the 0057 and 0058, have you checked the wiring and connections going to the sensor?

Happy 4th of July everyone and may God bless America! 🇺🇸🙏🏻

This is old but I’m having the same issue same codes but instead of clearing after 30-40 cranks my tj decided to start bucking and throw a CEL while driving

The u1068 and 0633 will clear themselves with about 30-40 cranks. There is no consistency as it happens to some and mot others and all pcms are programmed exactly the same.

The other weird one is some Jeeps have battery temp sensors snd some don’t and there’s no way of telling by the vin. We have the solution but don’t know when the problem will occur. Weird

As far as the 0057 and 0058, have you checked the wiring and connections going to the sensor?

Happy 4th of July everyone and may God bless America! 🇺🇸🙏🏻

This is old but I’m having the same issue same codes but instead of clearing after 30-40 cranks my tj decided to start bucking and throw a CEL while driving