Help removing lights from light bar

Denis040

Hey all,

New here. I have 2005 wrangler with light bar and 4 hella lights. I need to remove the lights as I just got a kayak.

Any tips on how to properly remove the lights?

Thanks for your time

Denis

Unbolt them, simple as that. Looks like they are held on there with allen bolts, and likely a nut on the other end.

Probably one of the simplest things you could do.

If you're not going to re-use the lights and/or lighting wiring, cut the wires and tape them off. If you can, try to find the fuse and battery positive wiring and disconnect them there.

Are you planning on retaining the light bar and just removing the lights or are you wanting to remove the entire bar?
If just the lights, do they have individual plugs on them or are they hard-wired? If plugs, your set, unplug them and remove them from the bar. You could put some dielectric grease in the contacts of the plugs that stay on the bar and cover with a piece of heat shrink tubing to protect them. Some tie-wraps to strap them to the bar so they don't flap in the breeze and your done.

If the are hard-wired, you'll have to cut the wires. It depends on exactly how they are wired in as to where I would suggest doing that...more pics from behind, showing the wiring would be helpful.

If wanting to remove the entire bar, like Chris said, just unbolt them then put the bolts back in after the bar is removed (they are some of the bolts that hold the windshield hinge in place). But, before doing that, trace down the wires to see where and how they go into the Jeep and if they have a plug somewhere. If no plug, you are gain looking at cutting wires or removing splices where they connect into the Jeep's wiring. You'll want to have the wiring completely free from the Jeep before removing the bolts for the bar.

Welcome to the forum.

Hey everyone, thank you for the replies. I would like to put the lights back on after the summer. I attached more pictures.

My biggest problem is the wiring. The wiring goes into the light bar.

I appreciate everyone’s help!

I came to the right place.

Trailer is not an option.

Here or more pictures.

This picture show where the wires leave the light bar and enter the vehicle.

I would cut the wires about an inch from the bar and install plugs like these or these. You could then do what I suggested in the "if they have plugs" part of my previous post. There's even a video on installing the latter ones here. I think the first ones would be easier to install if you can do some light soldering and heat shrink tubing but the others might be better if you don't do soldering.

I assume that you wanted to keep the light bar in place, just remove the lights? If not, then you'll only have one wiring connection to adapt plugs onto.

TJ and Db. I think your idea is the one! Thank you so much for putting the thought into helping me out. Much appreciated. Thank you!

I would cut the wires about an inch from the bar and install plugs like these or these. You could then do what I suggested in the "if they have plugs" part of my previous post. There's even a video on installing the latter ones here. I think the first ones would be easier to install if you can do some light soldering and heat shrink tubing but the others might be better if you don't do soldering.

Brilliant. Thank you so much. This is perfect.