Help snapped water pump bolt

sssboi

Ok guys bad news today, snapped one of the water pump bolts while torquing them up (replacing water pump). Not sure how it happened when the rest of the bolts torqued up fine. The damage has been done now but I'm coming to you guys with any advice or information on getting this bolt out. I'm not sure what can be done so any help will be appreciated.

You need to get some back out drill bits from any parts supply store or lowes.
1fb49bc19f6d0c75125fd6825429f653.jpg
Torque for those bolts is only 22 ft lbs so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it snap off flush or is there enough left to unscrew it with vise grips with the water pump removed?

Those are not large bolts. Did you use a 3/8 drive ratchet or 1/2 drive? It's easy to overtighten bolts that size with a 1/2 drive ratchet. And if you used a torque wrench, 1/2 torque wrenches are inaccurate at low settings like the water pump bolts requre.

Reactions: Stinger
Fortunately there was enough of the bolt sticking out of the block to get the vice grips on to it and pull it out, what a relief! Now I'm really starting to question if the torque wrench is working....it's brand new....

Reactions: KCsTJ
Fortunately there was enough of the bolt sticking out of the block to get the vice grips on to it and pull it out, what a relief! Now I'm really starting to question if the torque wrench is working....it's brand new....

I was about to suggest using vice grips if there was enough left to grab onto. I've been in a very similar situation before, and vice grips did the trick for me too.

Is it a 3/8" drive torque wrench?

Some torque wrenches (especially the cheap ones) aren't calibrated accurately ...... If you're doing a lot of wrenching, a quality torque wrench will save you a lot of grief. Motorcycles/quads are generally steel bolt into aluminum ..... factors such as heat and thread lubrication become a factor.
eg. Lightly lubed bolt into hot aluminum @ 40lbs = disaster. Same bolt, same torque, no lube, into cold aluminum = better results
You were lucky that the broken bolt was on a re-assembly, rather than a dis-assembly ... where rust/corrosion is a factor.
Good luck to you in your further mechanical endeavours .....

Did it snap off flush or is there enough left to unscrew it with vise grips with the water pump removed?

Those are not large bolts. Did you use a 3/8 drive ratchet or 1/2 drive? It's easy to overtighten bolts that size with a 1/2 drive ratchet. And if you used a torque wrench, 1/2 torque wrenches are inaccurate at low settings like the water pump bolts requre.
Any recommendations for a quality torque wrench?

There are good 'mid-grade' torque wrenches around ..... talk to a tool supplier, ask what torque wrenches are being returned for re-calibration. A 3/8 drive ..... typically from 5 ft. lbs. to about 75-85 ft. lbs will cover most needs of the backyard mechanic. My particular 3/8 drive is a 'Snap-On' ..... mechanical click. Bought about 25 years ago. Pricey at the time, flawless operation since ...
I also have a 1/2 drive used for wheel lugs on my trucks .....
Our Canadian suppliers/brands may differ from your American products .....

The top 3 tool truck companies(MAC, Snap On, Matco) are the high end and are pricey. $100 for a mid grade would be good for most DIY'ers. My SK Tool torque wrench has served me well for several years. I would think Craftsman might make a decent one?

Reactions: Head Lice
You can test the wrench by tightening a bolt down to say 10lbs. Put the wrench on it at a 90 degree angle and hook a 10lb weight to it with wrench set at 10 lbs. See if it moves. Simple check.

Any luck finding replacement bolts

Any luck finding replacement bolts? I just snapped mine last night, having a hard time finding some online.