Help, what caused this?

IronCity

TJ Enthusiast
I noticed a clunk when making hard turns n hitting bumps. When I accelerate left side comes up.
2d71b0f1061f546994ba0a69b0f72b4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most of us you have worn bushings, but the good news is they are very easy to replace. You just have to remove the winch plate to access the bolts. The bushings are split so it's easy to remove and replace. It is important to replace with the correct size as the sway bar will rust within the area of the bushing and using direct replacement bushings may be to loose to properly seat on the bar. I used a set of calipers to measure the bar and locked in the measurement then went to the auto parts store and the guy was nice enough to bring out various bushings until we found a set that would snug properly on the bar. At this point you should probably look at and or replace the sway links also as they will degrade and cause clunks too.

Last edited:
Will the bad bushings cause the left side to lift when accelerating. If I put in reverse the left side goes down. This happened when switching gears too if I give it a lot of gas

Will the bad bushings cause the left side to lift when accelerating. If I put in reverse the left side goes down. This happened when switching gears too if I give it a lot of gas

If the bushings are cooked then the sway bar is literally flopping in the breeze and can move in any direction.

Reactions: IronCity
Spend the extra $75 and get quick disconnects if you replace the links. Those bushings on the upper ends fail with some regularity, and you'll probably want to disconnect the sway bar at some point. If you have the need and the coin, look into the Currie Anti-rock.

Spend the extra $75 and get quick disconnects if you replace the links. Those bushings on the upper ends fail with some regularity, and you'll probably want to disconnect the sway bar at some point. If you have the need and the coin, look into the Currie Anti-rock.

Haha thank you, one step ahead of you. No I don’t have the extra coin since I’m in the middle of purchasing my second home but went half way with rough country disconnects. They got great reviews and were 80 bucks. I don’t do all the heavy wheeling anyway.

It seems that you have something else going on. Unless that bushing was completely missing, I can't see that being the cause of your left side 'going up' or 'going down' upon acceleration or going over a bump. It seems something else is loose, broken, or missing a bolt. It might be the swaybar link, but again, unless that is broken, I don't see that causing what you are describing...

It seems that you have something else going on. Unless that bushing was completely missing, I can't see that being the cause of your left side 'going up' or 'going down' upon acceleration or going over a bump. It seems something else is loose, broken, or missing a bolt. It might be the swaybar link, but again, unless that is broken, I don't see that causing what you are describing...

Did some poking and prodding and found that it’s the driver side link. Purchased some new disconnects. Hope that does it. Thanks all, will def repost when I get them and install.

Revisiting this thread I started. So after my disconnects install the knocking issue went away but I’m still experiencing the left side lifting up when I let out the clutch and give it gas. If I put it in reverse the left side drops a bit. If I’m in second gear and tap the gas I can see my driver side lift up. What’s the deal?

Lift and suspend your jeep up and try to run (low gear) it like you are driving turning the wheel left to right with someone below, a mechanically inclined person watching underneath. That might help figure out the loose stuff in your suspension/steering/drivetrain mechanisms.

Lift and suspend your jeep up and try to run (low gear) it like you are driving turning the wheel left to right with someone below, a mechanically inclined person watching underneath. That might help figure out the loose stuff in your suspension/steering/drivetrain mechanisms.
If you'er suggesting what I think you are I think it's a bad idea to get under a running vehicle while in gear.

Yeah you're right about the safety. I live and surrounded with a bunch of gear head (knuckle-head) environment kind of crowd and we do not think much - sorry.
I was imagining a real shop with their shop hydraulic lift.

Revisiting this thread I started. So after my disconnects install the knocking issue went away but I’m still experiencing the left side lifting up when I let out the clutch and give it gas. If I put it in reverse the left side drops a bit. If I’m in second gear and tap the gas I can see my driver side lift up. What’s the deal?

Does your jeep pull one way or another when this is happening? Or does it track straight? Are your body mounts in good shape?

The engine "torques" that direction, when you give it gas in gear, your drivetrain is twisting the suspension. It's normal on all vehicles, but more noticeable on 4wd types. Your shocks could be worn out and exaggerating the twist. Gas it at a stop in nuetral. You will feel the jeep "twist" a little.