Help with 2000 Wrangler 4.0 coolant issue

Okay so an update: this morning I checked the oil cap as I usually do and noticed it was different than the everyday regular check up. I think this confirms the oil and coolant are mixing. Still don’t know if it’s head gasket or head cylinder issue but to be honest I wasn’t suprised and honestly a bit relieved that the issue is showing up more and thankful for everyone who helped me and glad I caught it early on. If anyone can link me to a cylinder head so I can order one and start this dreadful process

71C840AF-797B-4D4E-8EF6-565DDD11C4D8.jpeg

D44730BE-5E2B-4B23-94F3-C681B0B70ED1.jpeg

I dont know if you want to go this route but now that you have resolved to get another head..before you do...
If you have the extra time, remove the cyl head and take it to a machine shop and have it magnafluxed.
That will once and for all confirm a crack or not. If magnafluxing finds a crack continue with your current plan.
And if it turns out no crack, have the head serviced and reinstall with a new Mopar head gasket.

I dont know if you want to go this route but now that you have resolved to get another head..before you do...
If you have the extra time, remove the cyl head and take it to a machine shop and have it magnafluxed.
That will once and for all confirm a crack or not. If magnafluxing finds a crack continue with your current plan.
And if it turns out no crack, have the head serviced and reinstall with a new Mopar head gasket.

I have to disagree. Non-TUPY 0331 heads should never go back on a block once removed, for any reason. Even if OP doesn't find a crack, he should spend the $450 for a new head. Non-TUPY heads are prone to cracking, his especially since it's been overheated. Spend the money now, replace the head, and never worry about it again. I have a 0331 head that hasn't cracked yet, and quite possibly never will, but if I ever remove it, it's never going back on.

I am taking it to my fathers friend who is an experienced mechanic, just 30 miles away. My dad called him and asked him how much he would take just to install the new head and he said 300$, but he said if its a blown head gasket he would charge us 500$. I am going to purchase a new head, cracked or not this thing has left me so paranoid and I am pretty sure its a cracked head, as this is literally my only option left, three mechanics ruled out the blown head gasket.

Sounds like a good plan. Really sorry that you've had such a rough few months with your TJ. You should be enjoying it, not stressing out. Hopefully this is the last repair that you'll need for a while.

I would avoid driving the Jeep until you replace the head, however. Now that coolant is seeping into the oil, it can damage the bearings if you continue to drive.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
Sounds like a good plan. Really sorry that you've had such a rough few months with your TJ. You should be enjoying it, not stressing out. Hopefully this is the last repair that you'll need for a while.

I would avoid driving the Jeep until you replace the head, however. Now that coolant is seeping into the oil, it can damage the bearings if you continue to drive.
I am trying really hard not to drive it, I can't complain. I guess I kinda knew what I was getting myself into when I purchased it. I mean cmon a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 140k with a 2.5 inch suspension lift and 5 33 inch tires, minimal rust on the frame and a spotless body, 6000 was too good to be true. Jeeps like this go for around 10000 over here.

Needless to say I do not regret it one bit. I love this thing.

I got my 2001 Sahara for $3200 with 270K miles. mine started drinking water with no signs of where, never overheated. I found a local complete engine with 75K miles for $450 the person was swapping in a V8. One full Saturday and did the swap and she's good to go. I figured if I did get a new head, the bottom end still had all the mileage on it. and for the same price as a new head I might as well. Since I do all my own stunts it was my cheapest option.
I drove mine on the miller jeep trail here is So Cal. with the 270K water drinking motor and it ran fine and never overheated. I was surprised at how well it did.

I got my 2001 Sahara for $3200 with 270K miles. mine started drinking water with no signs of where, never overheated. I found a local complete engine with 75K miles for $450 the person was swapping in a V8. One full Saturday and did the swap and she's good to go. I figured if I did get a new head, the bottom end still had all the mileage on it. and for the same price as a new head I might as well. Since I do all my own stunts it was my cheapest option.
I drove mine on the miller jeep trail here is So Cal. with the 270K water drinking motor and it ran fine and never overheated. I was surprised at how well it did.
The thing that’s blowing my mind about this whole issue is that it makes 0 noise. It doesn’t perform weak at all. It runs like my dad 2014 pick up truck and better, it’s such a strong vehicle. We had a cracked head on my moms minivan once and it was horrible, it was slowly dying, revving at idle by itself and it was overheating.

If it wasn’t for the coolant disappearing there’s no way anyone would know it has a cracked head.

I hear you! If it wasn't for the drinking problem, I wouldn't suspect anything was wrong with mine either (other than lifter noise) My buddy has his TJ in the shop for the same problem, we did a compression test, and a radiator pressure test and found nothing, he's anal about things so he took it in when he had to top off the radiator again. They sent the head out and had it magnafluxed and they said it was cracked. But again, never overheated, ran great, ran strong. Just one of the Great TJ mysteries!

The thing that’s blowing my mind about this whole issue is that it makes 0 noise. It doesn’t perform weak at all. It runs like my dad 2014 pick up truck and better, it’s such a strong vehicle. We had a cracked head on my moms minivan once and it was horrible, it was slowly dying, revving at idle by itself and it was overheating.

If it wasn’t for the coolant disappearing there’s no way anyone would know it has a cracked head.
Same here I put 40k on the motor with the cracked head no noticeable issues aside from loosing coolant and a coolant smell under the hood