Help with annoying squeaking from the back

Tigerman

TJ Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Hello folks,

I know that people probably ask this all the time and I did search the forum and found lots of threads about squeaks and noises but none seem to relate to me, at least directly, so please don't frown :)

I have a very annoying squeaking coming from the back of the car and not from outside. The squeaking seems to be from the inside, although I could be mistaken. At first I thought it was the rear seat, so to test, I removed it: nothing changed. After the seat I tried cleaning and silicone greasing the rubber seal of the lift gate (have a hard top): no effect. The noise comes when hitting bumps, more so when there is a sideways wobble. I cannot think of anything that can make that annoying creak/squeak.

Some background in case it is important:
The suspension is completely stock and completely new (OEM or Crown parts) with only two exceptions. The exceptions are the rear track bar (looks good) and the bushings for the rear sway bar (they are dry and bad, the replacements on the way). Everything else is new: coils, shocks (4600 Bilsteins, hate them, too bouncy), brakes (including drums and rotors), control arms, u-joint, ball joints, front end everything, including (sway bar bushings, links, track bar, tie rod and ends, drag link, basically everything).

Please help :)

I had a terrible squeak in the rear of my 05. It turned out to be the control arm bushings. I sprayed a little wd40 on them and it would go away for a little bit. Since you changed your control arms it prob isn’t the case unless you just got bad parts for some reason. I’m interested to see what it ends up being.

I had a terrible squeak in the rear of my 05. It turned out to be the control arm bushings. I sprayed a little wd40 on them and it would go away for a little bit. Since you changed your control arms it prob isn’t the case unless you just got bad parts for some reason. I’m interested to see what it ends up being.

Hey James,

I replaced the control arms with the crown ones that have rubber bushings (as advised by forum members). They all looked great and brand new when installing, even though I do admit, I did not inspect them very thoroughly. I can inspect them today once more, but I doubt a little they are bad.

Could it be the seat belt assemblies or a combination of those and something else?

@Tigerman, it's the bolts holding your rear door latch(es) and here is a simple fix.
My 97 did this, drove me crazy till I did this on a whim...
Take your oil can and drip a couple drops of oil above the rear door hinge bolts.
20180912_223118.jpg

The squeak is due to dissimilar metal oxidation over time. I read jeep fixed this in later.models however, idk.
Give the oil a day or two, the excess you can just wipe up.
My annoying rear door squeal went away after a couple days.
And you are right, it's difficult to pinpoint :)

Reactions: Tigerman
@Tigerman, it's the bolts holding your rear door latch(es) and here is a simple fix.
My 97 did this, drove me crazy till I did this on a whim...
Take your oil can and drip a couple drops of oil above the rear door hinge bolts.
View attachment 55235
The squeak is due to dissimilar metal oxidation over time. I read jeep fixed this in later.models however, idk.
Give the oil a day or two, the excess you can just wipe up.
My annoying rear door squeal went away after a couple days.
And you are right, it's difficult to pinpoint :)

that's where I would start.
I was going to say spare tire carrier too. ^^^

TIRE CARRIER IT WAS!!!

So the first thing I did: took the tire off and drove around. The squeaking practically stopped. I figured because of the weight of the tire, the rear gate, either around the lock or the hinges moved up and down, causing the door seal to squeak, and/or the tire itself squeaked against the rubber pads. Cleaned up the rubber pads, the tire carrier, the lock and greased everything with silicone, including the door seal. I did not put oil into the hinges (did not cross my mind :) ). To my great satisfaction. the sound was GONE!!! YESSSSS. Coupled with the new set of RS5000X Ranchos instead of the 4600 Bilsteins, the car became a very pleasant and an enjoyable ride.

It is now like new with a complete new suspension, bushings, brakes, oils, all liquids, spark plugs, etc... My quest to make the car into a reliable and enjoyable ride is over and it only took three weeks! Now onto cosmetics, lol.

Waiting on new mirrors, door handles, new set of fender flares, a set of nice rock rails a winch and... that should do it for now. Later, I want to soundproof the floors, hood and couple of other places, re-upholster the seats with the latest neoprene or perforated leather (haven't decided yet) and after that, I am going to be bored again with nothing to do... haha

Thank you guys!

Glad you found it and were able to fix it. FYI, you might get flamed if you keep calling your jeep a car. It's more of a truck than a car, but really it's a JEEP. Us Jeep enthusiasts be crazy......er....a.... passionate. Just looking out for you brah.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Tigerman
Glad you found it and were able to fix it. FYI, you might get flamed if you keep calling your jeep a car. It's more of a truck than a car, but really it's a JEEP. Us Jeep enthusiasts be crazy......er....a.... passionate. Just looking out for you brah.

Cool, I will keep it in mind