Help with behind rollbar storage

Trevenf

So I thought I've had a great idea, but usually when I have one of those someone else has beat me to it. I'm wanting to mount a 30cal ammo can behind the roll bar on the passenger side in the back of my '03 TJ for some extra lockable storage when I've got the top off. I've tried searching on here for anything involving drilling through that area and I can't find anything. I was hoping I could get some idea about what's underneath/behind the tub in this area where I'm wanting to either use bolts or riv-nuts to mount the ammo can.

I've attached some pictures to help clear up and give a better idea of what I'm trying to do. I'm thinking I want to drill through where I've marked in red on the picture. But if no one else has done this, there's got to be a good reason why.
20190709_213904.jpg
20190709_205537.jpg

Thanks a ton for any info!

Reactions: alittleoff
That is good location for that size of can. But be aware that the Evap canister is under there.
If you peel back or remove the inner fender you will see how much room you got to play with.
Tuffy Security Products has boxes too. $$$

I definitely planned on peeling back that cover before I started any actual work on it, but I figured I'd ask here before I go breaking those retainer pins off for potentially no reason. Little buggers never want to cooperate for me.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look into Tuffy and I'll check the clearance to that evap canister and see if bolts or riv-nuts are gunna work better for me

So with a light touch on the drill, being careful to keep my distance from that evap cannister and hoses, I got that can mounted today and it's rock solid!
20190712_173734.jpg
20190712_173853.jpg
20190712_175421.jpg

Thanks again for the information, guys!