Help with busted yoke on rear driveshaft

SBarber1

TJ Enthusiast
So I found my clunking noise today. It's the rear drive shaft front u-joint and yoke. Glad I found it before it fell out. So I got a new u-joint which is busted but the yoke is busted also. I'm strapped for cash right now so that being said what are my options.

Thanks

20190105_162116.jpg

If it is a Dana 35, I have one I can remove and would send it to you, as long as you pay the shipping. It's off a '98, for what it's worth.

Is the Dana 35 yoke the same as a Dana 44? If not, I have a factory one with fresh u-joints for a Dana 44/NP231 tc.

I do all my own repairs and can usually figure things out but honestly I dont know enough to say one way or the other when it comes to parts compatability. I rely on online searches to find the right part.

According to Rock Auto the part #'s are different between the Dana 35 and Dana 44, but they look the same. Ujoints are the same.

Crap. I may have spoken too soon. Mine is a 5-spd., and I don't know if they're the same between the manual and automatic tranny. Also, I'm switching to a Dana 44, and will need a yoke for the 5-spd. Dana 44 set-up. Now I'm uncertain if I'll need to retain mine for my set-up, or not.

So, to all the experts out there, I ask this: Will my 5-spd. front yoke work for my conversion from Dana 35 to Dana 44? If so, I'll need to keep it. If not, and @SBarber1 can use it for his automatic (Dana 35?), then I can help him out. Can someone please enlighten me? Thank you!

Reactions: SBarber1
So I found my clunking noise today. It's the rear drive shaft front u-joint and yoke. Glad I found it before it fell out. So I got a new u-joint which is busted but the yoke is busted also. I'm strapped for cash right now so that being said what are my options.

Thanks

View attachment 70878
So, is the rear axle a Dana 35 or Dana 44? I don't know (yet) if it matters or not for your problem, but it'd be good information for you (and us) to have for future reference.

So, is the rear axle a Dana 35 or Dana 44? I don't know (yet) if it matters or not for your problem, but it'd be good information for you (and us) to have for future reference.
From what I have found online it looks like they are the same for manual or automatic.
As far as it being a Dana 35 or Dana 44 I dont know. I'm trying to find out what is stock for mine. I'll update as soon as I find out. Thanks

If it is just the slip yoke that is damaged you can use one off of any driveline including 96-01 XJ as that part is the same regardless of which rear axle is in it.

If it is just the slip yoke that is damaged you can use one off of any driveline including 96-01 XJ as that part is the same regardless of which rear axle is in it.
Ok that's what I was looking to find out. It looks like it is only the slip yoke that is damaged, I'll know for sure tomorrow when I pull it. Thanks