Help with lift rabbit hole

TJR Silver

Supporting Member
I've been following the forum for several months ad finally purchased a 2005 TJR with 43000 miles. This forum has provided allot of good information that assisted in narrowing down my search. Thanks. Now to todays issue, the jeep currently has a 4" RC lift with RC shocks. I know in future I'll replace the shocks. But the current problem is the Transmission poops out of gear from hitting the consoles. So I unbolted the Console its stays in gear. Thus I started looking at a new drive shaft rotating the rear pinion to remove the transfer case drop. Seems easy enough. Then I researched further and found by doing the above i may have to trim the rear spring lower perch to clear the shocks. Is trimming the rear spring necessary for mo9derate trails and week joy riding? At what point does the shock hit the perch during wheel travel? Jeep is shown brow.

For a quick fix, you can unbolt the console, slide it make a 1/2 inch or so and use self tapping screws to put it back in place.

I have a lifted Rubi...above posts are great. If you end up trimming the perches it isn't a sin. Lot of meat.

That lift will self destruct in time, faster if you wheel it.

That TJR is worthy of investing more money in a better lift eventually.

Not picking at you, I have some RC stuff I got before I knew the shortcomings. It can be improved but it can really hold back your drive and handling also.

Good luck.

You already have a SYE built into your 241 transfer. If you call one of the bigger driveshaft makers they might have a shaft that allows a higher shaft angle without causing vibrations. Different Ujoints can run at steeper angles. It could be as easy as upgrading the driveshaft to eliminate the shifter bind and transfer drop without having to go to a d.c. driveshaft. That allows you to avoid any shock interference. Or maybe going to a 3" spring would work better for you if your tires work with those springs.

Does a drive shaft exist that would accommodate the higher angle. Fully understand the RC is not preferred, just happened to on on the best jeep I found after searching for 6 months. At this point I'd like to get it to where I can drive it comfortably. Then figure out how to build it. Thanks for the input.

All you need to do is contact Tom Woods and order a DC drive shaft. Then remove the TC drop, either cut the rear spring perches or use shock relocation brackets then adjust the pinion angle with the upper CAs..

Reactions: RMETeeJay