Help with M.O.R.E. MML install

Fonz54

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Was installing MORE MML. I knew things were going too smoothly. Had the new mounts in went to put the nut on the studs on the underside and the bolt head started spinning. Anyone know of a way to solve this one? Tried putting a long vise grip on the bolt head but at soon as I try to tighten the nut underneath the vise grip let’s loose.
Lou

Also when I let the jack down the trans mount studs are not coming through the skid plate holes 🤬
Solved the trans mount issue. Loosened the skid plate. Placed jack stands under the frame in front of the skid plate. Lowered the jack slowly and the trans mount studs lined up with the holes in the skid plate.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Was installing MORE MML. I knew things were going too smoothly. Had the new mounts in went to put the nut on the studs on the underside and the bolt head started spinning. Anyone know of a way to solve this one? Tried putting a long vise grip on the bolt head but at soon as I try to tighten the nut underneath the vise grip let’s loose.
Lou
Sent an Email to M.O.R.E. Both sides are exhibiting the same thing.

They shouldn't spin at all. It sounds like you got defective mounts.

They shouldn't spin at all. It sounds like you got defective mounts.
Yeah the bolts were not welded in place. There is a raised area that looks like it is supposed to keep the head from spinning. I dropped them an email. It would have been nice to be finished and not have todo the install again.
Lou

Yeah the bolts were not welded in place. There is a raised area that looks like it is supposed to keep the head from spinning. I dropped them an email. It would have been nice to be finished and not have todo the install again.
Lou

Got any photos of it? If I remember correctly, those bolts should be tack welded in place or something. They definitely shouldn't spin.

Got any photos of it? If I remember correctly, those bolts should be tack welded in place or something. They definitely shouldn't spin.
I will take some pics tomorrow. They definitely were not tack welded. The bolts were pretty loose But figured the metal the was basically pressed around the backside of the bolt head was supposed to keep the bolt from turning.

Reactions: Chris
You’re right, the bolt head should be stopped by the cross bar it butts against. If they’re still spinning it sounds like you may have a defective one.

57F1624F-387A-4AF9-866D-3BC12AE3F328.jpeg

I'd try to wedge a narrow screwdriver on the left side of the bolt when you righty tighty the nut.
But if a replacement is coming, disregard.

I'd try to wedge a narrow screwdriver on the left side of the bolt when you righty tighty the nut.
But if a replacement is coming, disregard.
I have not heard back from M.O.R.E. They are closed in the weekend. I was thinking that maybe a crows foot might work. I will give it a shot tomorrow because I would be sleeping on the couch tonight if I work on the Jeep in Easter!

Just spoke with Steve from M.O.R.E. and he said he has not to date heard of this happening. He is going to send me a new set and he will tack weld the bolt in place. I took a picture of the passenger side. You can see that the paint has been scraped off the head of the bolt from it turning around. Great customer service!
Lou

Passenger_Motor_Mount.jpg

I am so bummed! I spoke with M.O.R.E. last Monday, 4/13 and Steve said he would send out a new set of motor mounts with the bolt that was spinning welded in place. Called him this morning to see if the mounts were sent and he said they have been too busy and he will get to them as soon as possible. I told my jeep was sitting in the driveway and I needed to get it back on the road. He said he would get it done as soon as possible. So much for customer service. Should have bought Brown Dog. I am going to try and mess with them this afternoon and see if I can get the bolts torqued down.

Too busy to help a customer. Now you know all you need to know about them.
Yeah I bought these through Extreme Terrain. Just reached out to their customer service asking them to step in or take these back. This sucks! The guy from MORE was so nice the first time I spoke with him and today he sounded like I was bugging him. Before I called them last Monday I had left them a voice mail and sent them an Email and got nothing but crickets from either of those two communications.:mad:

Reactions: Blondie70
I guess the dude manufacturing them was too busy to tack weld the first set. So far they were too busy to manufacturer correctly and too busy to correct a failure. They are probably out in the parking lot admiring their new angry bird grills.

Reactions: Blondie70 and FJQue
Did the guy from MORE say it was supposed to be welded?
Is it possible, that the bolt spins because when it's loose it can lean back? Consequently, if it was tightened to the point that it couldn't lean away from that plate, then the plate would keep it from spinning for final tightening.

Did the guy from MORE say it was supposed to be welded?
Is it possible, that the bolt spins because when it's loose it can lean back? Consequently, if it was tightened to the point that it couldn't lean away from that plate, then the plate would keep it from spinning for final tightening.
Mine were not welded in, as I remember being able to wiggle the bolt. However, it would only move slightly because it was limited by the plate that was notched out around it.

Edit: FWIW, I didn't have any issues with the install based on the motor mount itself. Everything went smoothly except for access to one bolt underneath on the passenger side, but that wasn't a motor mount problem.

Last edited: