Help with stock recovery point

JamesAndTheSahara

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey all!

Recently I received a stock rear tow hook for a TJ and was stoked to install it. Although I didn't account for a change in TJ frames so the hole used for the nut plate isn't on my TJ. Any advice on how to make this hook work as a safe recovery point? Not 100% confident in using it when its only bolted through one of the frame holes:

IMG_1182.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG

It should look this below:

download.jpg

See the missing hole below:

img_1685.jpg

So I think what @glywood was getting at was just drill a hole on the bottom and use a nut plate inside the frame? It looks like you have a nice big hole just behind it to get something to hold the nut?

Or how about this? I don't remember who did this, may have been @CodaMan or @JMT, but they installed some kind of fix for a skid plate nut. I think it was in the What I did to my TJ today. It was some kind of nut that gets embedded in the frame if I recall correctly.

I will see if I can find it. I don't remember if it is flush or not though.
Also when I installed my to aftermarket tow hitch it came with a bolt and a nut with a strap connected to the nut. I actually went through that same hole in the frame that is in your picture. I am not sure what the nut with the strap is called. But it was rated for towing. I will see if I can find it or take a picture of it at least.

I hope this is making sense. I really need pictures, I don't think I am communicating well.

i'll be back

ok Back, not sure what these are called, but this could be what you are looking for for your second bolt? This is actual hardware for a Curtis tow hitch for TJ, so I think it will work fine for what you need.
61-dsTfPJaL._SL1500_.jpg

ok Back not sure what these are called but this could be what you are looking for for your second bolt?
View attachment 28436
So I have it, the problem is the access hole is not the hole the nut would need to sit in.
I don’t recall if the hole looked too close to the pre-existing one or not. I’ll update you guys tomorrow when i get fresh eyes on it.

Reactions: JMT and ac_
So I have it, the problem is the access hole is not the hole the nut would need to sit in.
I don’t recall if the hole looked too close to the pre-existing one or not. I’ll update you guys tomorrow when i get fresh eyes on it.
maybe I will have better advice with fresh eyes too.

The tow hook I took off my TJ looked exactly like this
View attachment 28434
And the hole for the bolt & nut exactly like this
View attachment 28435[/QUOTE]

I don't see why drilling the smaller hole next to the larger access hole wouldn't work. People drill their frames for various reasons - drain holes, slider mounting holes, etc.

The tow hook I took off my TJ looked exactly like this
View attachment 28434
And the hole for the bolt & nut exactly like this
View attachment 28435

I don't see why drilling the smaller hole next to the larger access hole wouldn't work. People drill their frames for various reasons - drain holes, slider mounting holes, etc.[/QUOTE]

That looks similar to my idea hardware wise.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
1) drill a new hole in the frame
2) reach in the access hole with your nut and get your new grade 8 bolt started.(You’ll need a steel plate inside the frame, such as the one that comes with the Curt Tow Hitch.) Nutserts do the same thing, but I don’t think that’s the proper solution.
3) bolt the other one up

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Hey all!

Recently I received a stock rear tow hook for a TJ and was stoked to install it. Although I didn't account for a change in TJ frames so the hole used for the nut plate isn't on my TJ. Any advice on how to make this hook work as a safe recovery point? Not 100% confident in using it when its only bolted through one of the frame holes:

View attachment 28431 View attachment 28432 View attachment 28433

It should look this below:

View attachment 28434

See the missing hole below:

View attachment 28435
Shear stress of a mild sheet metal steel is not strong for major towing application that's why they will put a "back plate" welded on a frame and/or drill trough the entire tube frame.
Using just one side of the tube frame like your last photo is not good in trails, like when you are winched out of a solid grade hole etc. if that is just from mud or road ditch then it's okay, if they pull you out straight then it's okay (but when did that happen - it' always in an awkward angle) but why bother when you already have the OEM?

Last edited:
Here’s the bolt and the steel mount you slip into the access point. These are tow rated.

8FA4EE26-665C-46A5-8E8F-CF1AED01B0ED.jpeg

You slip the bolt in, then the steel support, then you have to fish the bolt through the square opening. Your nut goes on the outside of the frame. Have fun! The pic below shows how it should sit inside the frame.
C02DDF7C-D4B1-4E3B-8371-641D085C42C7.jpeg

The tow hook, bolt, and nut with the tab welded on in picture number 4 in post 1 of this thread is exactly what I had on my TJ from the factory, and sent to @JamesAndTheSahara out of my parts bin. Why his TJ does not have the smaller hole next to the access hole is unknown, but the only thing that needs to be done is drill that hole, and mount what I sent him. No special backing plates or other hardware needed. It's a factory tow hook, mount it like it came oem and it'll be fine. No need to overthink this.

Nothing wrong.
I was just explaining the stress points section modulus of a sheet metal tube frame
I think I am just over thinking it :(

What is wrong with the existing tow hook on the side of the frame show in one of the photos?
I think the OP just wants the OEM one. I offered him some tow hooks on another thread, but he wanted the stock ones and @glwood sent him his.

What is wrong with the existing tow hook on the side of the frame show in one of the photos?
Nothing is wrong with it other than the fact I have one but not the other. I would prefer to make this work in the safest way possible. If drilling that hole for the bolt in the bottom is safe and will provide a safe recovery point, then I will tackle it.

I think the OP just wants the OEM one. I offered him some tow hooks on another thread, but he wanted the stock ones and @glwood sent him his.
Yep :).

Not looking to challenge why one is better than the other, just trying to see if I can install this in a safe way to be used in various recovery situations. Both appear to be valid tow hook points on the TJ, I am just working around with the stock one.