Help with wiring 3rd brake light internal contacts

LukWarm

Hey y'all, looking for a little guidance on the last mile of wiring this brake light up. I have my wires run through the tailgate and to the inside, and I am wondering whether or not I need to splice into the current wires. I have the old wires that plug into the back of the contactors, and was hoping I could replace everything up to that point.

Is there a plug I can buy and put my new wire into so I don't have to splice into the old ones?

Last edited:
I'm having trouble following you...the wires run from the Inside of the tailgate then out through a grommet and up to the 3rd brake light. Nothing should need spliced that I can think of

I'm not understanding either. power wires coming from the brake light switch go to the two contacts on the tub, power and ground. Then you have the two corresponding contacts on the tailgate bracket and wires coming off of them going to the lamp. I'm not sure what splicing you're talking about.

I you're just saying you wanted everything all new, I don't really have a solution to that. Just do a clean splice of your new wiring to your old connectors and then plug them into the bracket contacts that will contact the tub. It's not really critical that those be new, just clean them up with some electrical contact cleaner and they should be fine.

Reactions: Kid Mechanic