High idle and a P0123 code

Applesack

Hi, the other day my oil pressure gauge suddenly dropped to around 10 pounds while driving down the road, and would go away after shutting it down and sitting for a couple hours and run fine all day once its started back up. So I replaced the oil pressure sender and now shows good oil pressure. NOW after replacing the sensor and starting it back up I get high idle anywhere from 1,000 to 1,200. After checking for vacuum leaks and unplugging and re-plugging and checking all sensors on the throttle body I mow have a P0123 code showing now AND still have high idle. I replaced the tps once before about 3 months ago for sticking gas pedal causing high idle.

I also noticed the PO had installed a BBK 62mm throttle body. Should I try and replace it for a stock one? I know it doesnt do anything to add power or anything but wondering if it has any negative effects on a stock motor

I just dont see how changing the oil pressure sender could've caused my new issue

Oh and this is a 1997 4.0 with 95k and no cruise control

thanks for any help

Sure sounds like a bad TPS with that code. Did you get a Mopar?

If you remove the spacer, you‘ll have less places for air leaks. I would take it off.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Sure sounds like a bad TPS with that code. Did you get a Mopar?

If you remove the spacer, you‘ll have less places for air leaks. I would take it off.
You're probably right on the tps. It was an AutoZone special. I ran it to see if the tps was the issue. It fixed the the sticky gas pedal issue so I just left it. I'll order a mopar tonight. I'm also just running only the bbk throttle body with no spacer.

You're probably right on the tps. It was an AutoZone special. I ran it to see if the tps was the issue. It fixed the the sticky gas pedal issue so I just left it. I'll order a mopar tonight. I'm also just running only the bbk throttle body with no spacer.
Sorry, don’t know why I said spacer. I would take the BBK off and put your old TPS back on the OEM TB. Reset ECM an see if it’s different.

Can’t hurt to clean the IAC if you haven’t done it in a while.

Sorry, don’t know why I said spacer. I would take the BBK off and put your old TPS back on the OEM TB. Reset ECM an see if it’s different.

Can’t hurt to clean the IAC if you haven’t done it in a while.
I'm sure it hasn't. I bought it last august and it needed all the oils and coolant replaced so im sure it got the bare minimum when it comes to maintenance.

My 01 TJ 2.5 was acting like that, along with the P0123 code. I replaced the TPS and the IAC. they both had 170K so i figured it was time. I had an earlier emissions issue and replaced with NAPA parts and the problem kept dogging me and I ended up taking it to Jeep. They blamed the NAPA parts and replaced with Jeep.....it worked. I got my last parts at https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/
They were almost half of what the dealer wanted and shipped pretty quick

My 01 TJ 2.5 was acting like that, along with the P0123 code. I replaced the TPS and the IAC. they both had 170K so i figured it was time. I had an earlier emissions issue and replaced with NAPA parts and the problem kept dogging me and I ended up taking it to Jeep. They blamed the NAPA parts and replaced with Jeep.....it worked. I got my last parts at https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/
They were almost half of what the dealer wanted and shipped pretty quick
Too bad they only have parts for 2001 and up. I have an early 97 so the tps is different from the rest of the TJ'S.

What parts did the dealer replace?

spark plugs....up and down o2 sensors and a a P/S pressure switch
This was an earlier problem and not sure of the codes..it kept missing. the TPS and IAG fixed mt P0123 code recently

The frustrating part was Jeep tells me my emissions issue is because I used Non official Mopar parts......My bad, I used Bosch.....But when I went to get a TPS for my 01, the part was no where to be found and they would have to order it