High pitched whine

More information is needed. Does it get louder with sound? Does it happen when turning, going straight, or both? Does it go away with the application of the brake pedal, or get louder when you apply the brakes?

The more information you can provide, the better.

Reactions: SaharaTJ01
More information is needed. Does it get louder with sound? Does it happen when turning, going straight, or both? Does it go away with the application of the brake pedal, or get louder when you apply the brakes?

The more information you can provide, the better.
It occurs all the time when moving. When I turn, brake, shift or whatever. It doesn't vary in pitch or volume. It simply remains constant as long as I am going over 25 mph. I'm having my hub assembly checked, in hoped that is it.

I have a whine similar to what you're describing, but mine seems to go away once I get up to higher speeds AND it only really happens when the Jeep is cold. After I drive for a little while, I can start from a stop and not hear a thing. I'm ordering all new sealed DS u-joints hoping that that's the problem.

Does yours go unnoticeable at higher speeds? Or when you've driven for a while?

I have a whine similar to what you're describing, but mine seems to go away once I get up to higher speeds AND it only really happens when the Jeep is cold. After I drive for a little while, I can start from a stop and not hear a thing. I'm ordering all new sealed DS u-joints hoping that that's the problem.

I have to be honest. I've been leary of driving too far or fast in case I really mess something up. I have a friend at Daimler who offered to take a look at it. Fingers crossed!

I have to be honest. I've been leary of driving too far or fast in case I really mess something up. I have a friend at Daimler who offered to take a look at it. Fingers crossed!
I haven't had a choice as it's my DD, but my new u joints are coming in soon so we'll see if that solves the problem. I need to replace all of them for 100K maintenance anyway so if it doesn't fix them, I'll continue replacing things that are worn out.

I've had an issue lately where my transfer case is a little sticky coming out of 4wd despite the rod being adjusted properly. Usually backing up a few feet clears it up. When it's still partly engaged, there is a noticeable whine.

I'll probably change the fluid and try another adjustment.