High Temps at Highway Speeds. Radiator Options?

gbdiaz

Hey all!
I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
So basically, long story short. I noticed at highway speeds my gauge going over the 210 mark. Initially I didn't think much of it, but I ended up googling it a couple days later and saw that people were pinned at 210 so I thought something may be wrong.

I plugged my OBDii scanner and saw that with the AC on, on the highway at about 80MPH I'm reaching 235+. The moment I'm back to on the street, my temps drop down to the high teens, low 220's. And when I park at home, it settles in at the teens, no overheating issues there.

After some research here and on other forums, I've concluded that it's more than likely my aftermarket radiator. I was checking all the records on the Jeep, and saw at one point the previous owner swapped out all the cooling stuff. When sliding under the Jeep, it has a Koyorad, not sure what thermostat (although receipt does say a 195), and not sure what waterpump. Radiator cap is an 18LB cap.

My next issue, is actually finding a Mopar radiator for this thing. I've seen people mention that the automatic radiator works for my manual, but the only one I've managed to find is the 55037653AB rad. But per Chris' cooling overhaul thread (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jeep-wrangler-tj-cooling-system-overhaul-faq.3397/) that's for 2004 only (which I have a 2006). Would this one still work? Can someone point me in the right direction, please? I am going to continue my search, but I don't seem to have much luck.

Is there anything I can try in the mean time, to lower those highway temps? Radiator looks clean, Inspected it last night to make sure there was no built up grime, or leaves covering it.

Bought this TJ as a project car with the pops, but it's kinda discouraging how fussy these things are with only wanting OEM parts but everything is being discontinued.
Keeps maintaining this thing pretty difficult and worrisome to drive. I know these things are tanks, but every time I do some research on specific issues, there's at least one part that has been discontinued 5+ years ago, so trying to find it at this point is borderline impossible. I'll be calling some local dealerships to see if I have any luck.

I hope you have better luck at the dealership than I had. Last time I went to my local dealership, they told me they don't service anything under a 2010, as parts are discontinued. Couldn't get a heater core. Aftermarket is the way I had to go.

I put in a radiator a couple of years back. Nothing fancy, plastic sides, had to slot out the fan shroud to get the holes to line up, and unhappy about it all. Hasn't had a problem since though. (knocking on wood)

235, yeah that is much higher than I would want. I didn’t think the year on radiator mattered that much. If it’s a Mopar. Go with it. The Auto trans lines just make sure they are capped, I believe.

I’d also do a full flush with Thermocure, but that’s just me, while doing this, it’s a good time to make sure. 195 stat is what is needed, but they are cheap to replace.

Mike, thanks for the heads up. I am in talks with JMT, just checking the shipping price.

On a side note, trying to see if I can try any of the smaller fixes to see if anything improves and I was checking the receipts from the services done on the Jeep.
In 2022, as mentioned above, they basically changed out all the cooling system. Just hoping I can get your opinions on some of the parts they used.

1. Radiator Cap: 55116901AA - Looks like a Mopar Radiator cap, so that should be fine?
2. Thermostat: 195F 10190925 - Looks like a Motorad thermostat that can be used on a ton of different cars, including a lot of GM cars. Wondering if I should get the one Chris recommends in the other threads? Although, a lot of people I see recommending the Stant version, his link sends me to the Superstat (which is about 8 bucks cheaper than the Stant Superstat). Price is no problem, so if the Stant is better than the one Chris linked I don't mind getting it.
3. Coolant: 1G 68048953AC - This car was in Boston before, and is now in Florida. Could it possibly be the mix of coolant used up there versus what I'd need down here? When touching the coolant, it's a bit viscous.

They also changed the two radiator hoses, Water distribution pipe, Drive belt, clamps, and some random hardware. As mentioned above, they did change the radiator and when sliding under the Jeep, I have a Koyorad.

I see no mention of the waterpump being changed, but I have no coolant leaks or anything as others mentioned would normally happen. Should that be an avenue I explore (Jeep has 85K miles)? Would that result in high temps at highway speeds?

I've read people mention the fan clutch won't affect much at highway speeds, but I was thinking of swapping it out anyway as it's not super expensive and would be one less thing to worry about. Should I go Hayden? I've seen recommendations for a 2771, but read a thread recently about the 2791 resembling the MOPAR 68064765AA more closely. Another option some people mentioned is the USMW 22160. Works like the Hayden 2791, and significantly quieter too (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/should-you-get-a-heavy-duty-fan-clutch.53938/page-8).

Sorry for the wall of text! Just trying to trouble shoot my problem and share my thoughts here.

I have a 2006 that would overheat on the highway. No leaks but after changing out everything else I pulled the water pump. The plastic impeller had seperated from the shaft and could spin separately. New pump no issues.

Reactions: Zorba
I have a 2006 that would overheat on the highway. No leaks but after changing out everything else I pulled the water pump. The plastic impeller had seperated from the shaft and could spin separately. New pump no issues.

That's promising, thank you for letting me know! I may as well change it while I'm down there since the rest of the system has been changed. Did you go with Mopar?

If it turns out that you do need a radiator, Denso is the current preferred among the guys who know. Nissen reported to be good too.

I appreciate the input. I feel like at some point we'll need to start recommending other options as the original Mopar ones become harder and harder to find.