Hitting rev-limiter on start-up

Vulture

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi everyone. I started my 2001 TJ tonight and it revs all the way to the limiter instantly. I have the 4.0 I6 engine with the 5-speed manual transmission. I typically start the jeep with my foot off the accelerator pedal. I checked that the throttle cable is free and when I operate the throttle linkage everything seems to work without binding or resistance. I can't find any unplugged vac lines. The jeep was running normally up until now. I haven't done any recent engine work. I'm completely stumped on this. It revs so violently that I'm afraid to try to start it again. Anyone have any experience with this problem? I don't have clue. Any input on this would sure be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Hi everyone. I started my 2001 TJ tonight and it revs all the way to the limiter instantly. I have the 4.0 I6 engine with the 5-speed manual transmission. I typically start the jeep with my foot off the accelerator pedal. I checked that the throttle cable is free and when I operate the throttle linkage everything seems to work without binding or resistance. I can't find any unplugged vac lines. The jeep was running normally up until now. I haven't done any recent engine work. I'm completely stumped on this. It revs so violently that I'm afraid to try to start it again. Anyone have any experience with this problem? I don't have clue. Any input on this would sure be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
That is a typical response to a massive vacuum leak. Check the intake manifold for broken bolts. Check the brake booster vacuum line and barring any of those, make sure the IAC is functional and there is no issue with the TPS or harness.

Reactions: tquig01
Thanks for the quick reply mrblaine. I appreciate the info. I'll have another look today and see what I come up with. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks guys! I spent about an hour this morning before I had to get to work looking at everything I could find on the vacuum system. So far I haven't found a thing. I'm gonna move on to the intake manifold and the IAC, the TPS, next. Thanks for the help!