Hoarding TJ parts for the long haul

RedrumRH

WNC Asheville Area
Supporting Member
So when I started thinking about my longterm plans for the TJ, and after 8 months on the forum and a being TJ owner, it occurs to me I might need to buy certain used parts when I find them. My long term plan is to keep it for at least 10 years, maybe 20 years since the miles are low (just turned 60k) and I have multiple vehicles so I can pick and choose when the TJ heads out of the garage. Plus I always keep vehicles 8-10 years anyways, even new cars. Kind of funny, I baby a 19 year old Jeep and keep it in the garage, while my brand new Golf Alltrack sits outside. Had to put my Benz sedan in my mother-in-laws garage when the TJ got my 1 car garage in March. It sure is funny to me, but I know everyone here loves their TJ's so I don't feel so bad:). It then occurred to me that I read on the forum about certain parts that are scarce. Maybe I need to buy a donor TJ????? Or maybe certain parts to just shelve while they are available. I guess my biggest concern is the computer, but I have seen sources here where you can buy a refurb computer or maybe it was sending in the computer and they rebuild it. Just an example. Trying to be prepared for the long haul.

So can we collectively come up with the TOP 10 TJ parts to hoard for the long haul? Obviously shocks, belts, plugs, light bulbs etc will always be available, and with the wealth of knowledge you all have I just want to keep an eye out for the right TJ parts to hoard.

So give me your list @Squatch !!!! I actually immediately thought of you when thinking about hoarding parts, your posts indicate you might....might have extra parts you collect!! Cheers in advance everyone!

The fuel pump for the earlier TJs is the first thing that comes to my mind, as Bosche has discontinued it. However, if you're running the later model ('03 and up, maybe?), then I don't think it's an issue.

Reactions: RedrumRH
I was going to mention the Fuel Pump as well. If I were going to hoard parts...I think my list would be this. Note: I'm thinking Mopar only here. Chances are pretty good the aftermarket will continue to produce parts for our TJ's for a very long time. Look at what you can get for CJ's.

• All engine Sensors (that is probably 10 parts alone)
  • Fuel Pump
  • Radiator
  • Maybe a water pump. I'm experimenting with a 65 dollar NAPA one right now...we'll see how it lasts. If it goes within a year, I'll put the original back in (it was fine when I pulled it off) and get another MOPAR to put on the shelf until I need it.
  • Some of the emissions stuff for the evap system. I'm not sure what is here, but unless you reprogram the ECU, you'll have issues if you can't keep it working
  • Some of the Rubicon Specific Stuff (obviously only applies to Rubi owners)
    • Spare air pump
    • Spare Locker or two
    • The Rubicon specific stuff can be replaced with better quality aftermarket stuff, but that is very expensive. If I could find a used locker for a couple bills, I'd throw it on the shelf, vs paying 1000 bucks for an Eaton or ARB, plus having to go through the gear set-up.

Anyone seen the Bosch 67655 fuel pump assembly anywhere? Seemed to dry up a few months ago. Amazon has just the pump (69316) piece without the assembly.

Sensors would be #1. Fuel pump seems to be an issue on the early models. Hard parts like water pump, radiator, heater core, etc, if they can be sourced for a reasonable price would be next on the list.

Anyone seen the Bosch 67655 fuel pump assembly anywhere? Seemed to dry up a few months ago. Amazon has just the pump (69316) piece without the assembly.
Action Auto still has a few in a few locations. There's one store about twenty miles from me that still has at least one in stock. I've considered getting it as a spare. I still have a new one in the box that I will install soon...

Interior plastics: parts of dash, door panels, etc. might not be bad if you come across them. That's unless you wanna make something custom down the road ;)

So can we collectively come up with the TOP 10 TJ parts to hoard for the long haul? Obviously shocks, belts, plugs, light bulbs etc will always be available, and with the wealth of knowledge you all have I just want to keep an eye out for the right TJ parts to hoard.

So give me your list @Squatch !!!! I actually immediately thought of you when thinking about hoarding parts, your posts indicate you might....might have extra parts you collect!! Cheers in advance everyone!
If I were you I will just buy another TJ same model. Then park it in the barn for future parts. Kind of what I did he-heh.

Reactions: Squatch
The Bosch 67655 fuel pump having been discontinued has been weighing heavy on my mind, as of late, because I know where this one for sale in my area. I called to confirm its existence, and they are holding it for me. Heading to pick it up Saturday afternoon. That one is officially the last one at any of the Advance Auto stores anywhere within 100 miles of me. I already have one brand new one. Guess now I'll have two. ;)

The Bosch 67655 fuel pump having been discontinued has been weighing heavy on my mind, as of late, because I know where this one for sale in my area. I called to confirm its existence, and they are holding it for me. Heading to pick it up Saturday afternoon. That one is officially the last one at any of the Advance Auto stores anywhere within 100 miles of me. I already have one brand new one. Guess now I'll have two. ;)
Just like a screw driver. You buy one because you can not find the other. Then you stumble to a couple ones one day.

Reactions: Squatch