Hog's 97 Sahara Smart Build

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
The reason I'm posting this here rather than the members builds threads, is this thread is not about the build , I'm posting it to talk about the idea of keeping a project simple , affordable and effective , and give a glimpse into the mindset behind it.

The owner , @Hog , from Georgia , is a successful small business owner , and anyone who succeeds in small business does it with hard work and handling money wisely.

Hog had 33" tires on 16" JK wheels with spacers/converters on an otherwise stock ' 97 Sahara Automatic .

He got a complete 3" lift from Zone , shocks included , at a deal at Christmas . He did his research and new that was the tallest he wanted to go to avoid vibes, adjustable track bars and so forth.

He traded product with a customer for the labor to install it.

To level it up ,He added front spacers he already had , which also act as excellent coil spring insulators . He had 2" spacers , so he cut them down to the 1" he needed. This was all done in the driveway , along with setting the toe.

He added a nice spare tire carrier , but that's another thread topic. He installed it himself.

Right now he's cleaning smaller, stock size flares to install and paint . These were given to him.

He stripped his own wheels and is coating them.

Now, here is the good part - this is what he had to do to dial it all in -NOTHING.

The Jeep does nothing wrong , drives near stock .

It doesn't bumpsteer , need countersteered, pull, wander ,oversteer , float , rearsteer , pop, squeak, or vibrate at any speed.

Drives amazing . Effortless.

Soaks up the bumps . Feels almost plush.

The moral is this - you can lift a TJ without a line of credit at the bank , actually improve already good road manners, and not start down the path to endless corrections - if you do your research , take the time , shop smart and wrench a little ....and keep it simple.

He may post pictures when he's ready , it already looks fantastic and runs out and drives as good as it looks .

Note-I have the same or similar lift on my 2006 Rubicon , and I'm pretty impressed with what Zone offers overall.

Feel free to ask questions , I have been around it some, and will help any way I can.

I realize people have different definitions of the term "build", and this is in no way to disparage anyone for what they run or spend , but to encourage members you can modify these without headaches , if you do like him, and play it smart. Also , I totally realize any build needs to be right for what you do with the vehicle , so this isn't a "one build fits all" solution , but rather a note about not lifting a TJ to the point of complexity , and saving some headaches .

In other words. Cool Jeeps aren't an exclusive club for the wealthy or mechanical masterminds....any regular guy or gal can do this.

Last edited:
The moral is this - you can lift a TJ without a line of credit at the bank , actually improve already good road manners, and not start down the path to endless corrections

Next you're going to tell me I can re-gear without actually re-gearing, aren't you? :ROFLMAO:

Next you're going to tell me I can re-gear without actually re-gearing, aren't you? :ROFLMAO:
No , but he can . I declare , even when I look for a part for him , it's like 75 percent off. Crap I need is full retail.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I will add this , having driven it ...that 3 speed auto pulls the tires really well...I don't know the gearing ..but the tires aren't crazy wide or meaty...and not real heavy to lift compared to my 12.5 x 33" ko2 tires on beadlocks...so the tires are another smart move.

Thanks @AndyG .. it’s just something that easy and fun to work on and it’s cool how a little effort you can change it by adding a few things.. here’s a pic after I added the smaller flares and cleaned it up today
E20A79DB-BACB-4846-A10B-0463396A8AC8.jpeg

Thanks @AndyG .. it’s just something that easy and fun to work on and it’s cool how a little effort you can change it by adding a few things.. here’s a pic after I added the smaller flares and cleaned it up today
View attachment 144934
Man it looks greeeeaaat ! Good job on the flares .

Hope it turns out good.. little nervous painting them.. haven’t settled on a bronze color yet.. to many to decide from
There's a place in N. GA that specializes in finishing/re-finishing wheels, have you considered having the centers powder coated?

There's a place in N. GA that specializes in finishing/re-finishing wheels, have you considered having the centers powder coated?
Thought about it.. u talking of that place in Jasper?

Thought about it.. u talking of that place in Jasper?
Not sure, all I know is they send a trailer around to body shops and dealerships and do on the spot re-finishing/repairs to wheels, but no PC, that has to be done at the shop.

I wish everyone had a TJ that drove and rode like his does.

I have one that drives and handles like that.
Cool.... It kills me to see them messed up... I have driven quite a few that I was glad to get out of.... Made me nervous driving them.

In my opinion the TJ is one of the most commonly messed up vehicles... I don't know if it is because the aftermarket wasn't prepared for a coil spring lift or if it's because they've been out of production so long that people have forgotten how to deal with them... And I blame a lot of it on the fact that things come in lift kits you don't need like dropped Pitman arms.

I always contend these things aren't hard to get right they sure are easy to mess up.

Reactions: Tray Burge