Holder for Swanson Speed Square

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
I stole this idea from Tom Silva-

25FFAE8F-2DB9-4AB6-A499-2E86CDAC3307.jpeg

That would make me nuts banging around like that. I like mine in the big pocket on my left side since I'm right handed. Pencil goes on the right

It is all what works for you-

Actually if you look close at the tool bag you’ll see a slot between the pockets that accepts the square-

I made this one just to see how they work

It’s going to depend on where you put it- I agree with you I think clipped to a bag it’s going to be too floppy-

I’ve got another bag that they tend to fall out of so that’s why I was interested

I could see myself walking through a freshly cased doorway and scraping the carp out of it!!! 🤣🤣

I could see myself walking through a freshly cased doorway and scraping the carp out of it!!! 🤣🤣

Yes sometimes we don’t even wear tool belts when we’re working around high end finish work-

Hanging it off the pouches it’s really not the idea- I just did that to illustrate that clips on.

It seems to work it’s best when it’s behind the bag on the belt pointed backward

The tool I can’t get along with is the Dasco flat bar issues of my forearm- It is handy and it drives me nuts.

I wear the blakladder tool vest. I’m not a young guy carrying everything anymore, Just the essentials so a square fits nicely in the pocket. The best is nice for smaller interior jobs to as it doesn’t spread out all over like a traditional belt.

Reactions: NWPA Jeepy T
I wear the blakladder tool vest. I’m not a young guy carrying everything anymore, Just the essentials so a square fits nicely in the pocket. The best is nice for smaller interior jobs to as it doesn’t spread out all over like a traditional belt.

Vests are nice- I have one - gets a little hot-

I’m with you on packing light. I’ve seen guys carry their school books and 18 V drill’s and hydration bladders.....give me just what I need- I’ll keep the rest in my trailer.

Reactions: NWPA Jeepy T
I've gone light duty EDC as well. Being a custom deck builder mostly, a lot of it just ends up laying on the deck

Reactions: AndyG
My guys are Union Carpenters and that's way too fast for them to use on a job. These guys will leave it on their push cart and come down with the man lift to get it. Just sayin!

I believe ya. Man I’d jump out of my skin watching that.

Union carpenters...ugh!!!
They wouldn't last a week with me!!

You know I’m not even talking about Union guys - I’m just wondering if any of you pro level construction guys have noticed how far off a lot of workers are on productivity?

This is not boasting- these are just examples:

I’ve seen three guys put 996 pieces of tile in a bathroom in one day- They came in and leveled the bathtub and put up level ledges to set on and set the walls-Then they said the floor and cut in the wall as they work their way out the door

It was 6 x 6 material with a decorative accent band around the room-

My cousin and I can lay a 40 foot bathroom floor in 13 minutes- Just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke we turned around and did it again in 11 minutes.

I saw a guy that got a 2400 square-foot house that the lady wanted it done on a diagonal- And wanted the tile 9x9-

He put one guy on the wet saw cutting tile and he laid every whole tile in the house-

Then came back in the next day set all the coats and grouted and walked away in two days-

And I don’t mean it was Italian flatness on a 16th it’s joint but it was professional work- He collected like $9000 paid his helpers really good and walked away with a nice profit.

I’m saying all this because I have ran across so many guys that look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them what I think can be accomplished in eight hours with whatever project we are doing-

One time we had these guys running shoe mold- Their productivity was so bad after two hours I took a picture of the cut waste- You could fit in your pants pocket.

At the same time my lead Harold will go in and measure an entire house for crown mold and only go to the saw one time- He can cut it faster than a two-man crew can nail it.

Our sheet rock guy had mudded and taped three houses with 170 boards each by 1 o’clock one day.

People that figure out productivity like this typically make some really good money.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
productivity is a problem. Phones have a lot to do with it. Actual moving your body instead of/along with your mouth also contributes. Me and my partner have a good system, but my teenage son started working with us and it's created some...management challenges. And, no, it's not just union guys. I see it literally in EVERY business!!!

It takes some quality in your personality to want to be good at and get better at the work you do. I don't know what to pin it on, and maybe that means there's more than one quality that will do it. But it seems like most people aren't being raised with that anymore and are just satisfied to give the minimum effort.

For me, I've never been particularly competitive vs others, but I'm super competitive with myself. Every time I do something I've done before i want to do a better job and more efficiently than the previous. And I recognize that I'm being paid well for what I do and giving any less than what that salary justifies is basically stealing. I need to learn how to better manage that with my work-life balance, but I think I'm at a point where I have room to pull back a little bit for the sake of my family and my own sanity.