Home-modified cheap LED tail lights

schmoupe

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My original tails were in rough shape for a 15 year old vehicle so started looking at LED replacements and was surprisingly shocked how expensive they are. Initially was looking at these Rugged Ridge ones and noticed they are nothing more than the generic ones you find anywhere for $30 plus the pigtails and side markers. So here is my set after about 2 hours of modding and mounting.

What do ya'll think?

IMG_5903.JPG

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG

What did you start with

Edit: What I mean is did you start with stock housing and add LEDs, did you modify a boat trailer LED......

I have the same ones but didn’t add the side marker. How did you wire the side in?

I tapped in the wiring inside to the wire that gets power for turn signals and also the neutral. Red and white wires respectively if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you start with

Edit: What I mean is did you start with stock housing and add LEDs, did you modify a boat trailer LED......

I started with the generic trailer tail lights, then drilled a hole for side markers and tapped them into the turn signals. I also cut the pigtails off the oem tail lights and attached to the led so these lights are plug and play now. Another surprising part is that the mounting holes line up perfectly with the TJ holes so I was able to use my old hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 04 LJ