Homemade wood hardtop

Yeah, Jerry, but you're like me...old enough to remember when cars had wood on them from the factory. :D
They were cool weren't they! But back then the wood on them was usually in bad shape and nothing special. Now any woodies on the rood are pristine and the result of probably hundreds (if not more) of hours of restoration. I saw a beauty recently, it looked brand-new... totally restored. :love:

When I was stationed in Phoenix in '72, my roommate had a 49 Plymouth woodie. We had a lot of fun in that car.
Years later, I turned down almost the exact same car when the guy wanted my shop to restore it. I didn't know a good enough woodworker to take on the project.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I made a wooden hardtop for an LJ. Well, actually these are the mold master parts for the Safari Cab - I made all the modular parts in wood, then made molds in fiberglass from those parts, then molded the hardtop parts in fiberglass in those molds. The "windows" in this photo are printouts.

View attachment 297109

The fiberglass parts just out of the molds, not trimmed or fitted yet.

View attachment 297110

The finished hardtop:

View attachment 297111

The wooden mold masters could actually have been installed on the Jeep but they were just used to make the molds, then I turned them over to Gr8Tops and they made their production molds from the wooden parts.

Wow! Now that's a piece of art... Very beautiful, I must say:).
I could only dream about finding an LJ...

I spent a year searching for a unmolested TJ with a hardtop, and not rusted out.
Eventually settled for 01' with a soft-top. And because it's a Sahara which is nice.

My wife needed a new car. Gave my wife my 2'nd Liberty. Wanted a Wrangler for so long...
I still love it!

More worth your time to keep on the lookout for a hard top at a better price, reasonably priced parts for our Jeeps sell fast and that leaves mostly people who are kidding themselves asking $5000 OBO for "OEM mopar screw gently used that's not rust no it's brown from factory". Have you been in a hard top Jeep? It's definitely *better* than a soft top in terms of wind noise and insulation but unless you install a headliner with insulation you might end up disappointed. You will go from can't hear the radio above 50mph to can somewhat hear the radio above 50mph, and from freezing your butt off unless the heater is on level 4 to freezing your butt off unless the heater is on level 3. I'm in northern Ohio, it's really damn cold here but can't imagine it's much warmer in your neck of the woods.

Maybe it was a ship builder, who could not bear the depression of travel by road. Comforted by the fresh smell of varnish when waxing the hard top of the car, enthused by the resonance of the hardwood top as it must surely play a role in improving audio quality inside. Not that it would be any quieter :D
Many years ago, my friend bought a brand new CJ7 with a hard-top. Think is was 85-86. My first ever long trip in a Jeep.
He told me to put on the seat belt. As when he hit the brakes, it kept you from sliding off onto the floor!
It was a bit loud and scary on the highway... And he didn't hesitate to show me what it could do!
After we reached the Pocono mountains, we had a great time 4 Wheeling together. He still owns it today!

i love the idea,i like the idea of makin my own top out of any material in fact.a wood one could be a beautiful piece.i dont care if its practical

In college when working on unmanned aerial vehicles we used balsa wood a lot and sandwiched it with fiberglass and some carbon. I can't remember why we used it a lot, but it was very easy to work with and is incredibly lightweight.

I love seeing wood grains where they make sense. And I also love seeing DIY stuff that's cheap and works even if it looks like crap. I guess I'm a big fan of homemade gear in general and if it works for someone then that's pretty cool. It kind of makes me think back to the days where I was dumber and tougher and to get out and have fun we just made do with whatever we could scrounge together.

Let me help you with that.
Yeah but once it's sandwiched with fiberglass, you're working with fiberglass. We did testing with the number of layers, order we did the layers and with and without balsa and we kept the sandwiched Balsa. I'm not sure if it was the lightest for the strength or if it became a cost vs strength and weight. Carbon fiber was ideal on paper, but the cost and time was just too high for us to do experiments. Though we did integrate some carbon tow in areas and it would help stiffen stuff up those areas.

I know we did start off with Balsa to start experimenting with the shapes. And we could get the stuff we wanted locally. The fiberglass we ordered a special fabric along with the ancillary materials we needed.

Composites are interesting to work with and I always mean to do projects with them, but it's really hard for just a single or even just a few runs. The fact that Jscherb made his hardtops is absolutely awesome.

Yeah but once it's sandwiched with fiberglass, you're working with fiberglass. We did testing with the number of layers, order we did the layers and with and without balsa and we kept the sandwiched Balsa. I'm not sure if it was the lightest for the strength or if it became a cost vs strength and weight. Carbon fiber was ideal on paper, but the cost and time was just too high for us to do experiments. Though we did integrate some carbon tow in areas and it would help stiffen stuff up those areas.

I know we did start off with Balsa to start experimenting with the shapes. And we could get the stuff we wanted locally. The fiberglass we ordered a special fabric along with the ancillary materials we needed.

Composites are interesting to work with and I always mean to do projects with them, but it's really hard for just a single or even just a few runs. The fact that Jscherb made his hardtops is absolutely awesome.
The balsa creates a torque box when it is the core. Lightweight, high strength to weight ratio when resin bonded to the composites, lots of structural rigidity. It is basically a very easy way to duplicate a series of internal braces to support the other composite surfaces without adding much weight and the complexity of an internal truss system. Plus even though it has a grain and is far less flexible in one direction, once the resin bonds it to the composite, most of that goes away.

They do the same in structural boat building with divinycell foam products and even balsa core. The torque box method is almost always the same in those types of structures. Two structural layers separated by a lightweight core with enough compressive strength to resist deflection of the two layers. In your instances, the balsa was light, easy to work, and was stronger per ounce than a solid composite lay-up.

Somehow I figured this would be your lumber yard.

View attachment 297112
And here I thought that was a group photo of your "tailgate" party you had when the wife was out of town. Did you ever tell her the "Black Magic" name came from the male stripper you had that weekend? 🤫 ;)
p.s. You just brought back the old JF days memories. Merry Christmas to you and your family. You're the nicest, mean guy I know. Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I say too when my friends send me pics of their hobbies.
You being from Cali, I can't imagine. So, which one is you? There is no known "clear" photo of you on the internet. Maybe Chris took a close enough selfie and had to be disposed of. :unsure:

Last edited:
You being from Cali, I can't imagine. So, which one is you? There is no known "clear" photo of you on the internet. Maybe Chris took a close enough selfie and had to be disposed of. :unsure:
There are all manner of pics of me. You just aren't looking in the right place. You'll never find me on all those gay websites you spend so much time on.

Reactions: TheGanzman
The Morgan still has a frame made of Ash.
I find it hard to get excited by a motor company that sells it's own gin. Now, if it was a nice IPA or Porter, that'd be another thing. :cool:
To be fair to our brothers across the pond, I was looking at a new Triumph motorcycle a couple of months ago. I really liked that blacked out retro version.

• Haha
Reactions: Noreaster1967