Hood Insulation (for Sound, not Heat)

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm reading some threads about insulation for the underside of the hood. I'm mainly interested in noise reduction, not necessarily heat.

I'm aware that some LJs came with OEM insulation but I'm betting that there are other products that would work better when the concern is specifically for sound.

I already have about 40% of the underside of the hood covered with some butyl tiles (like Noico), so I'm looking for something to go over that, creating a barrier across the whole underside of the hood.

The main thread on this forum mentions Uxcell. I haven't read all 15 pages of that thread. Has anyone else used this and care to share their results?

Or, any other products to recommend for sound dampening under the hood?

———

UPDATES
  • Sailor's Solution:
    • Marketed for sailors and intended for dampening sound of a diesel engine.
    • Product is a "high density polymer". I don't know if that's encouraging or concerning.
    • Product comes in 1'x1' tiles, so would require puzzle-piece application, rather than a blanket approach.
    • Product is 1" thick and appears quite stiff, so may not be ideal for the curves of underside of hood.
      • But, site claims it is flexible and suitable for curves down to 3" radius. Installation video here.
    • Cost is $10.50 per 1'x1' tile.

• DEI Under Hood:
    • Marketed for automobiles, and claims to help with both heat and sound.
    • Don't see a description of materials, but looks a bit like dense fiberglass?
    • Comes in a roll of 32” X 59” (13.1 sqft), and costs $131, so $10/sqft.

• SoundSkins Heat Shield:
    • Marketed for automobiles, and claims to help with both sound and heat anywhere outside of the 'cabin'.
      • They put an emphasis on protecting paint from heat. The way it gets installed in the video also suggests that the main focus is heat.
    • Materials are 0.4" close-cell foam with a fiberglass aluminum foil outside layer.
    • Comes in a roll of 39.5" x 197" (54 sqft), and costs $250, so about $4.60/sqft.

• Dynamat Hoodliner:
    • Marketed for automobiles, and claims to help with both heat and sound.
    • Materials are a 3/4” acoustic sound soaker foam (polyether urethane based), with a reflective aluminized skin.
    • The foam is a mix of open and closed cells, which they claim maximizes sound absorption.
    • Comes in a roll of 32" x 54" (12 sqft), and costs $70.50 on Amazon, so $5.86/sqft.
    • Note: they also recommend it in addition to Dynamat Xtreme, which is their butyl product like Noico.
      • (Beginning to sound like Sound Deadener Showdown, below.)

• Sound Deadener Showdown:
    • Owner retired, and original site is now down. Used to be a great place for instructions, supplies, and even application jobs.
    • First step was "CLD Tiles" (butyl) on 25–40% of sheet metal surface area.
      • Noico is a popular example of this. Other companies like Dynamat make these too.
    • Second step was a thin layer of closed-cell foam. Partly for sound dampening, and mostly as padding for Step 3.
    • Third step was mass-loaded vinyl over the closed-cell foam.
    • Fourth step was butyl rope at all the joints/seams of the mass-loaded vinyl.
    • Steps 2 and 3 would be applied with spray-on adhesive like this.
      • Note: Steps 2 and 3 might be replaced with Dynamat DynaPad, which seems to be these two materials in one product.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
Only thing I can tell you is stickers do absolutely nothing for sound deading...

IMG20230810093258.jpg

-Mac

Yes, but they're only half the solution. Butyl mainly prevents vibration of sheet metal. So when I close my hood or when something bumps against it, it now makes more of a 'thunk' and less of a 'twang' (see here).

SoundDeadenerShowdown used to have a great site that explained the role of butyl and how another layer like Mass Loaded Vinyl should go over it, but they have closed. I do see their YouTube page is still up.

I just don't know if I can put MLV under my hood or not, due to the temps.

Yes, but they're only half the solution. Butyl mainly prevents vibration of sheet metal. So when I close my hood or when something bumps against it, it now makes more of a 'thunk' and less of a 'twang' (see here).

SoundDeadenerShowdown used to have a great site that explained the role of butyl and how another layer like Mass Loaded Vinyl should go over it, but they have closed. I do see their YouTube page is still up.

https://www.sailorssolutions.com/?page=ProductDetails&Item=SPM01

this on the firewall might be a good solution

I'm reading some threads about insulation for the underside of the hood. I'm mainly interested in noise reduction, not necessarily heat.

I'm aware that some LJs came with OEM insulation but I'm betting that there are other products that would work better when the concern is specifically for sound.

I already have about 40% of the underside of the hood covered with some butyl tiles (like Noico), so I'm looking for something to go over that, creating a barrier across the whole underside of the hood.

The main thread on this forum mentions Uxcell. I haven't read all 15 pages of that thread. Has anyone else used this and care to share their results?

Or, any other products to recommend for sound dampening under the hood?

I've decided that if my LJ's hood liner ever goes, I'm throwing the coin into one of the DEI acoustic liners.

It looks similar to the OEM and should do the job.

https://www.designengineering.com/black-under-hood-thermal-acoustic-liner-32-x-59/

So...while I like the fuse block and relay block...I don't love them. They're fine until you want the battery out and then it's a PIA.

I think if I did it over I would have 3d printed a mount for an Auxbeam or equivalent panel instead of using Carling switches.

I've since removed the passenger airbag and have an OEM fuse panel from a 2000 Jeep harness...looks like there is enough room to mount two ones side by side.

So it's good...but I'm learning. When I tub/frame swapped my Jeep in eight days I spent most of a day just pulling the 30 plus wires for that panel out...it runs to the relay block...which is mounted on a battery tie down bracket I fabed up with 3/4" angle iron.

IMG20240110160052.jpg

IMG20240110160134.jpg

-Mac

Reactions: SSTJ
I envy the Jeep owner who can hear the difference an insulated hood makes over all the other rattles and noise!

It definitely doesn't make much difference alone. I'm thinking of this as part of a larger project of sound deadening.

Did the butyl tiles you've placed already make much difference?

I should clarify that I have only about 40% of the hood covered in butyl, since I planned to follow the recipe provided by Sound Deadener Showdown. I've seen others put Noico on 100% of the surface area (inside of tub), but SDS had convinced me of diminishing results after 40–50% coverage, since its main job is just to cut down on vibration.

You might have other issues if you can hear your engine from inside your Jeep. Maybe one of the squirrels died. ;)

squirrel powered (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited: