Hood locks using cam locks

MexiJeeper

TJ Enthusiast
First let me say that if you are planning to purchase Smittybilt or Rugged Ridge hood locks please don't!

I purchased a set a couple of years ago and of course both sides failed when I needed them most. I was returning from a 550 mile trip when I noticed that my driver's side pin wasn't locked and the hood was fluttering. This was 5 miles into my trip. I stopped and relocked it. Another mile it was open again. The lock failed. I had no other means of locking the hood as those pieces of shit replaced the factory hold downs. 50 miles later the nut plate on the passenger side that holds the pin to the fender fell off rendering the lock useless. All I had holding the hood down was the factory center release lever. I couldn't drive faster than 45 miles per hour due to the hood flying into the windshield fear factor. A 9 hour drive took me 14 hours. Rant over...

I decided on brainstorming another method to lock the hood but not eliminating the hold downs. Fortunately I had a set of old school spring loaded hold downs I was able to temporarily install until I can dig up the new rubber OEM set I have stashed away but don't remember where.

The idea I came up with was to buy a pair of tube key cam locks locally and go from there. Cam locks come in different cylinder lengths a I bought 1 1/8" so as to clear the lip under the hood. Cost of the 2 locks was $10.00 USD. If I purchased on line I would have bought 2 black locks keyed alike. Mine use different keys.

Toughest part of the job was fabbing a custom eye bolt for the fender. You can see my first 3 failed attempts. One side is done. I'll finish the other side later.

When I have both done I'll remove them and slap on a coat of black paint.

When the cam lock is in the locked position against the rubber pad on the fender there is absolutely no movement of the hood either up or down. Now back to work.

upload_2018-10-18_15-38-7.png

upload_2018-10-18_15-38-43.png

upload_2018-10-18_15-39-11.png

upload_2018-10-18_15-39-41.png

upload_2018-10-18_15-40-18.png

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
While reading your second paragraph about the failure during your 550 mile 9 hour trip that ended up being 14 hours, I was kind of wondering why you didn't use a rubber tarp strap from fender to fender to hold that hood down. I admit that the idea came from my son's rusty YJ having a tarp strap probably permanently replacing his missing driver side spring loaded hold down.

Then I read the rest of your post and have to admit that now I don't even care why you didn't use a rubber tarp strap, or anything, to save that 5 hours. I'm just really impressed with your idea for, and your execution of, those hood locks.

I do have to ask, how long will "temporary" last for the spring loaded hold down? It's looking pretty good to me.

Reactions: MexiJeeper
While reading your second paragraph about the failure during your 550 mile 9 hour trip that ended up being 14 hours, I was kind of wondering why you didn't use a rubber tarp strap from fender to fender to hold that hood down. I admit that the idea came from my son's rusty YJ having a tarp strap probably permanently replacing his missing driver side spring loaded hold down.

Then I read the rest of your post and have to admit that now I don't even care why you didn't use a rubber tarp strap, or anything, to save that 5 hours. I'm just really impressed with your idea for, and your execution of, those hood locks.

I do have to ask, how long will "temporary" last for the spring loaded hold down? It's looking pretty good to me.

Hello JEEPCJTJ,

I live in Mexico. Trip was on a Sunday. Nothing open. other than gas stations. The trip was over desolate highways. I would have used bungee chord or even rope were it available. I agree with you in that I like the old school 60s style latches. I'm in no particular hurry to exchange them with the new OEM set I have buried somewhere. The win is that I can now lock my hood again with something so simple that the chance of failure is near zero. I'm pleased you like the idea.

Reactions: derekmac
Good day fellow TJers.

Just an update here and a question.

I am moving along with the R&D thing. I am sourcing parts and tweaking the lock and pin design. It's slow as I am ordering custom made sample parts to be fabricated and I must patiently wait. I'm guessing it will take several months before I will be able to ship my limited batch of prototypes to y'all.

Here's the question regarding the lock pin that mounts to the fender:

What is your preference in material? I can source parts in stainless steel or a black oxide steel finish but not both. The black oxide finished parts are highly rust resistant so don't base you preference solely on the rust factor. I'm more interested in what color you want to see when you open your hood.

Please comment whether you like black, silver or it doesn't matter.

As always thanks for your input. This is going to be one hell of a product.

I just completed the design, fabrication and installation of my prototype TJ hood lock set. Aside from adding security these lock totally eliminate hood flutter.

I am presently sourcing a parts manufacturer. The locks will be available for limited sale in the near future. There is still some fine tuning to be done.

If anyone has any specific questions or you would like to see additional photos please write to [email protected]