Hood Prop Rod?

Irishguy

TJ Enthusiast
My Jeep came without a hood prop rod. I'm currently using a scrap piece of 1x2.

Stupid question:

Before I buy a used one off of Ebay for $27 (including shipping) are there new ones available for that price and should I consider some kind of alternative to the OEM?

A length of 1/4” or 5/16” steel or aluminum rod from the local home center. Copy the bends from another TJ.

My Jeep came without a hood prop rod. I'm currently using a scrap piece of 1x2.

Stupid question:

Before I buy a used one off of Ebay for $27 (including shipping) are there new ones available for that price and should I consider some kind of alternative to the OEM?

Have you checked your local Auto Recyclers ?

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I think I'd also go for the $27 OE. Just make sure it comes with the hinge/mount (and, preferably, the screws). It'd be a real bonus if it came with the hook/clip for the other side (2006 version shown, early models were a metal clip.

IMG_20200806_173549.jpg
IMG_20200806_173612.jpg

Reactions: Sun Dog and Tomcat
I've thought about this one - looks similar but half the price...

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-hydraulic-hood-tj-1151.html

I have been aware of Hood Lift since CJ days. The company name and product line was acquired by Warrior Products, but I don't know when or the circumstances. The Rough County product sold by extremeterrain looks like a blatant copy.

I'd be interested in the full story. If the original inventor still gets royalties from his work I would be inclined to buy the genuine product even though it costs more. Even if he doesn't get royalties I might be inclined to pay the higher price because it is listed as made in the U.S. But if Warrior stole the company from him and he gets nothing that would be a different situation altogether. Then the cheap Chinese counterfeit doesn't look quite so bad.

Thanks everybody for the replies as usual. Looks like I have a decision to make $30 for the used OEM or $70 for the whizzbang RCX version with hydraulics... Or I could go all Pioneer and make my own by whittlin' a hickory stick.

Reactions: mushdogs and AMS417
Thanks everybody for the replies as usual. Looks like I have a decision to make $30 for the used OEM or $70 for the whizzbang RCX version with hydraulics... Or I could go all Pioneer and make my own by whittlin' a hickory stick.
Or just ditch the hood entirely. Weight reduction? I promise it wont hurt the aerodynamics. These things are shaped like a combine.