Horn goes off by itself intermittently

2004X

Supporting Member
Hey everyone I need some help! My 2004 Wrangler X’s horn will start blowing and will not stop. Even crazier it will start blowing when no one is around and the Jeep is parked on carport. My neighbor came over a couple days ago and unhooked the battery cable while we were gone to work. Said it blew for 2 hrs before he stopped it. I haven’t been able to find a forum that described the situation I have. Any ideas??

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Could be a bad clockspring. Are you having any other issues with turn signals or anything else?

No other issues at all. My jeep does not have cruise control, but the turn signals, windshield wipers, and ignition switch works perfectly. The horn also works normally when driving the jeep.

Imapepper - By horn switch, you mean the button located with the Air bag? Or were you referring to the clock spring as well?

The actual switch located within the steering wheel. I recall seeing pictures somewhere of that switch and how it goes bad. I would think a clockspring would be intermittent open not shorted. Check your wiring to the horn switch also for chafing, if it grounds somewhere the horn will blow.

Thanks for the info. I was having a hard time understanding why the clock spring would close the circuit on its own. I will check into the switch, I have not seen a picture of it yet, but I believe it is located with the air bag.

One other thing with the horn circuit - hopefully you can make sense of. When I bought the jeep and got it home, I was going thru everything to make sure it was in good working order. I found a wire that had been added running into the fuse panel and was wrapped around the horn fuse terminal. Any idea's what they may have added this for? I removed it and everything stilled work, so I left it out.