Horn not working

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
01 TJ
The horn stopped working. Fuse and relay checked against other in panel. So those are good. I have been looking at other threads and trying to work through those suggestions.

My fear is a broken/ damaged clock spring. Reason being I just replaced the steering gear box, 5 days ago, and the steering wheel moved upside down as I forgot to tie it off. That said was working after. Turn signals come on and go off fine and I have full turn left to right and right to left. Should I worry about that?

I'm not sure pushing the steering wheel cover feels springy, so maybe that broke. While I wait for a 2nd set of hands to volt test power to relay/ fuse/ horn(s). Looking for ideas.

There's two horn modules, guessing different pitches to make the sound, so I'm doubtful they are both bad.

The horn is a very simple device; basically, if it sees 12V it operates, just like a light bulb. You could try powering it directly using some scrap wires and see if it makes noise

Reactions: ChasUGC
I'd pull apart the cowl on the steering column and disconnect the plug...then look up the wiring diagram, determine which pins to jumper to test horn function and continuity check the switch on the other end.

-Mac

Reactions: Steel City 06
I'd pull apart the cowl on the steering column and disconnect the plug...then look up the wiring diagram, determine which pins to jumper to test horn function and continuity check the switch on the other end.

-Mac

That's a good plan. I'll try to find wiring diagram