Horrible CAT purchase

04JeepCharlie

So I’ve had the dreaded 0420 code for sometime. Finally just bit the bullet and purchased new cats from Rock Auto. I’ve read that the Eastern Catalytic converters were good. BUT, I went with another brand as it was under the “premium” section and EC was not. Plus, BOSAL (the company I went with) looked more OEM then the others. Ordered, shipped, then received after 3 days. Not bad. Then when I looked into the honey comb I saw slag that dripped down to the catalyst. Contacted RA and well they didn’t really help as they don’t do any customer support. Contacted BOSAL and didn’t hear back. Well, I just said whatever and installed anyways. It has a warranty. So if it messes up, well hopefully it’ll get fixed. Fit was garbage. Hanger on the muffler side was off by 4in. Ball and socket side on the manifold didn’t line up either. Welds looked like some drunk on a Friday night did them. Got everything installed, backed out my shop and started hearing a banging sound. Come to find out, the bottom of the exhaust after the cats were hitting on my front driveshaft. Had to use a pry bar to move them aside. And still can’t seem to find a sweet spot because if I hit a bad bump, it’ll bang on the DS. I wanted to throw it away but I wanted to drive my Jeep...but just stay away from BOSAL. As for now, they are working. Drove almost 100miles since the install. What a headache tho.

008081FB-6ADE-4FC0-B624-070DC22425EE.jpeg

AA6E666C-1FEE-4382-90F9-AE1FEB4C3806.jpeg

AFCAF511-726B-4284-8D09-50945473EB75.jpeg

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I remember shopping for cats and how much junk there was to sift through. I eventually went with Flowmaster. If you get a refund and need a replacement, they’re made in USA I believe, reasonably priced, and the quality in person looks as good as online. I got them from Summit for around $250 with cheap or free shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flivver250
I bought MagnaFlow and had no such issues. Install was easy and everything lined up properly. More expensive but worth it to me.

Reactions: jeepins
I put a Pacesetter stainless kit on last year for under $200 with free two day Amazon delivery. Good fit, quality material & workmanship.

I shoulda went with flowmaster or magnaflow. My deal was that I was gonna do a engine swap here sooner then later. But now with everything going to hell in a hand basket...I put it off for a while now 🤦‍♂️