Hot Clutch Squawk

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
In hot weather, once the Jeep has warmed up, my clutch squeaks on the way in and on the way out. Sounds a bit like steering column boot squawk.

I had someone pump the clutch pedal while I was underneath, and the sound seems to be coming from the clutch itself, not from the pedal. I checked the master cylinder and it appears to be filled to the brim. Any advice?

In hot weather, once the Jeep has warmed up, my clutch squeaks on the way in and on the way out. Sounds a bit like steering column boot squawk.

I had someone pump the clutch pedal while I was underneath, and the sound seems to be coming from the clutch itself, not from the pedal. I checked the master cylinder and it appears to be filled to the brim. Any advice?

IF you are underneath the Jeep and hear the noise as the clutch moves inward and outward; then the problem could be the pressure plate fingers or rusty clutch plate springs.
You can remove the clutch slave cylinder and use an endoscope with lighted camera to examine the clutch assembly inside the bell housing.
There are endoscopes with lighted cameras that can be purchased cheaply on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Anykit-Endos...-Waterproof/dp/B0C1B47KSS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: SSTJ
@SSTJ Pull the slave cylinder out of the bell housing and inspect the plastic ball end on the slave rod. Mine was very dirty. I cleaned the end of the slave rod, and using a long screwdriver with a clean rag around the end of the screwdriver, reached in a cleaned the socket that the slave ball goes into. Once everything was clean, I put a small dab of grease on the ball of the slave rod and reinstalled. This eliminated any noise that it was making when engaging/disengaging the clutch.

Following

I’ve been trying to find the source of the same type of noise for 2 years.

When warmed up, I get a “rusty spring” type noise and sound when pushing in the clutch. Zero issues shifting or driving, replaced the clutch M/S and cleaned the slave socket, lubed the pedal assembly, tried adjusting the pedal assembly bolts.

Mine did the same thing when I was forced to buy an Autozone master/slave cylinder (Rockauto sent the wrong part). Got a refund and bought a Luk replacement.

Mine did the same thing when I was forced to buy an Autozone master/slave cylinder (Rockauto sent the wrong part). Got a refund and bought a Luk replacement.

I’m 0/3. Replaced original with the LUK which blew at the firewall weeks after the warranty expired, replaced with O’Rileys. They shift and squeak the same.

IF you are underneath the Jeep and hear the noise as the clutch moves inward and outward; then the problem could be the pressure plate fingers or rusty clutch plate springs.
You can remove the clutch slave cylinder and use an endoscope with lighted camera to examine the clutch assembly inside the bell housing.
There are endoscopes with lighted cameras that can be purchased cheaply on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Anykit-Endos...-Waterproof/dp/B0C1B47KSS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks. I own a lighted scope, so will read up on how to remove the slave cylinder.

@SSTJ Pull the slave cylinder out of the bell housing and inspect the plastic ball end on the slave rod. Mine was very dirty. I cleaned the end of the slave rod, and using a long screwdriver with a clean rag around the end of the screwdriver, reached in a cleaned the socket that the slave ball goes into. Once everything was clean, I put a small dab of grease on the ball of the slave rod and reinstalled. This eliminated any noise that it was making when engaging/disengaging the clutch.

Thanks. I'll do this at the same time.

The pivot ball may be your issue.
These get chewed up overtime and people miss greasing them during a clutch replacement.

This is the contact point on the end of the clutch fork opposite side of slave cylinder.

My TJ had this exact issue and after trying just about everything I pulled the tranny down and replaced the ball and greased it.

Noise went away.

Previous owner of my 06LJR had the clutch replaced last April about 2 months before I bought it and it is now creaking when warmed up.

Not looking forward to dropping the tranny but this may also help me reach the deteriorating wire loom and replace that as well.

Good luck!

Well re-reading my post there from 5 years ago, I don't think I recommended the guy replace the slave at all. I was agreeing with another commenter, Rich1961, that the noise was likely from the end of the slave cylinder where it contacts the fork, just as he's reiterated again here.

The place the slave pushes on the fork can squeak, the fork pivot itself can squeak. Throwout bearings can make their own sounds but they're distinct, being a spinning bearing and not a pivot.

So yes, do what Rich1961 said first. If that doesn't fix the squeak you need to determine how important it is to you. Next step would probably be to pull the tcase/trans so you can get to the fork and replace/clean/grease it whatever. And at that point I'd replace the throwout bearing with an all-steel version (timken?) if it isn't already, just because it's cheap insurance to refresh while the trans is out.

Probably been 7 years since I replaced the bearing and cleaned everything up in there and still silent.

::edit::
I've also got a 6 speed, so the parts may be slightly different, but mechanically it's all the same.