House wiring question

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Is this code? Was it ever? Is it now? I've seen these used for CATV and telephone, but never for service voltages. Maybe its OK, or was at one time, because its a concrete block wall? I'm thinking not, but...

DSC01917.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: ColoJeep
That's a low voltage retro-fit cut out. There's not enough room to protect romex between the rock and concrete, you'll need to run wires in metal conduit and set a real box.

That's a low voltage retro-fit cut out. There's not enough room to protect romex between the rock and concrete, you'll need to run wires in metal conduit and set a real box.

When the addition was put on this house last year, they did run Romex, but they blew a hole in the concrete to allow room for a "real" box (at each device location). This is just typical of the crap I've found in this house, 60 years of idiocy. Being as its behind the stove, I'm not sure I care. If anything, I'll surface mount a utility box on the concrete, let it be proud of the sheetrock and call it good.

Reactions: flyinfish
Is this code? Was it ever? Is it now? I've seen these used for CATV and telephone, but never for service voltages. Maybe its OK, or was at one time, because its a concrete block wall? I'm thinking not, but...

View attachment 443463

You are thinking correct Zorba ! This makes mobile home wiring seem reasonable . It's your house and I'm confident you will grid up your loins and correct this . I believe a lot of the NEC is available on line. Good luck with your new project .

That retrofit is for coax and speaker wires

Keep in mind many areas have different code
Here, Romex is not code either

You are thinking correct Zorba ! This makes mobile home wiring seem reasonable . It's your house and I'm confident you will grid up your loins and correct this . I believe a lot of the NEC is available on line. Good luck with your new project .

I wouldn't call it a "project", but rather one of those incidental things that crops up while doing another project - in this case, re-tiling the kitchen floor. Saw this one was upside down in relation to the cord that plugs into it, so decided to flip it over. That's when I found that there was no box!

In any event, there was about 10,000 ways I could have fixed it - I ended up putting in a shallow box. For whatever brain dead reason, shallow boxes don't seem to be available in the "old work" style with the ears that rotate and tighten behind the sheetrock. (WHY?!?!?) But I was able to bastardize it by using the ears off of the old dingus and make it work. In any event, the receptacle is now in a box and even has a plate - and is oriented correctly.
DSC01918.JPG

DSC01919.JPG