How bad is this rust?

Glad to hear the issue was localized. I'm originally from Vermont. We always thought those southern rigs from NJ were cherry. All things in perspective. In Vermont even the tires rust out.

Glad to hear the issue was localized. I'm originally from Vermont. We always thought those southern rigs from NJ were cherry. All things in perspective. In Vermont even the tires rust out.
Yep. For what it’s worth if I ever buy a TJ again I’ll set aside some money to have one shipped from the south or anywhere about 1000 miles west of me.

Huh, can’t manage to find a Dana 30 with 3.73 gears.. I have been only looking at TJ partouts though.
Can anyone confirm what kind of Jeeps I could pull this axle out of? Not too sure on my options here. Don’t want to pay a mechanic premium prices to source me one either.. Jeep has left me off the road for the majority of this last month and it’s starting to get ridiculous lol

Isn't your picture just the spring perch rusted off? Mine were wasted. I was doing some brake work and whacked the top perch with a ball peen it just shattered like slate as layers of rust crumbled. I took out the springs, (bought new ones) ground off the remaining metal and welded in new perches. I even moved the top ones back it improve the angle since it has a 2.5" lift while I was at it. I bought a Harbor Freight welder and went for it. Much cheaper than a shop and wasn't that hard. If you don't want to do it yourself it seems that new spring perches welded in will still be cheaper than swapping the whole rear.

Isn't your picture just the spring perch rusted off? Mine were wasted. I was doing some brake work and whacked the top perch with a ball peen it just shattered like slate as layers of rust crumbled. I took out the springs, (bought new ones) ground off the remaining metal and welded in new perches. I even moved the top ones back it improve the angle since it has a 2.5" lift while I was at it. I bought a Harbor Freight welder and went for it. Much cheaper than a shop and wasn't that hard. If you don't want to do it yourself it seems that new spring perches welded in will still be cheaper than swapping the whole rear.
Perch on the passenger side was shot, yes. The driver side perch seems pretty clean, I had the Jeep dropped off and the guy is going to weld a new-used mount on from another axle, $400. If I had a welder and trusted myself with one enough, maybe. But then I’d still have to source an axle.
My passenger side has had part of the frame replaced already and one of the lower control arm mounts rusted off. Assuming from POs never washing in the winter months, and hitting salt water puddles on the side of the road. I’ve been meaning to strip/POR15/paint the frame for months now, but it seems the Jeep always has other plans for me..
At least this isn’t breaking the bank, but the Jeep being off the road for the majority of the last two months is breaking my heart lol.
Part of me wants to sell, the other part of me wants to slap on a lift and do the frame paint, and call it a day. Found some decent trails (powerlines, nothing crazy) with a friend in his YJ and would love to check them out.

Reactions: Hound Dog
Perch on the passenger side was shot, yes. The driver side perch seems pretty clean, I had the Jeep dropped off and the guy is going to weld a new-used mount on from another axle, $400. If I had a welder and trusted myself with one enough, maybe. But then I’d still have to source an axle.
My passenger side has had part of the frame replaced already and one of the lower control arm mounts rusted off. Assuming from POs never washing in the winter months, and hitting salt water puddles on the side of the road. I’ve been meaning to strip/POR15/paint the frame for months now, but it seems the Jeep always has other plans for me..
At least this isn’t breaking the bank, but the Jeep being off the road for the majority of the last two months is breaking my heart lol.
Part of me wants to sell, the other part of me wants to slap on a lift and do the frame paint, and call it a day. Found some decent trails (powerlines, nothing crazy) with a friend in his YJ and would love to check them out.
Glad you're getting it taken care of. $400 isn't so bad at all. But you don't have to get them from another axle, Pocono Metal Craft is just one company that makes replacements. I am sure others do too. Heck, you can get them on Amazon. The welding part is the trick.

Just paying to get it done can be better in the end. I do a lot of my own work but most of my body mounts were rusted out. I just paid to have them redone.

Why?

I don't own a lift. Laying on my back in my garage, grinding out hunks of rusty metal, dirt and crap all falling in my face, sucking in rust dust. Then trying to do my amateur weld job upside down while on my back trying to not catch myself on fire or get electricuted all just did not appeal to me. Just hand over the credit card... lol!

Reactions: Joseph
Glad you're getting it taken care of. $400 isn't so bad at all. But you don't have to get them from another axle, Pocono Metal Craft is just one company that makes replacements. I am sure others do too. Heck, you can get them on Amazon. The welding part is the trick.

Just paying to get it done can be better in the end. I do a lot of my own work but most of my body mounts were rusted out. I just paid to have them redone.

Why?

I don't own a lift. Laying on my back in my garage, grinding out hunks of rusty metal, dirt and crap all falling in my face, sucking in rust dust. Then trying to do my amateur weld job upside down while on my back trying to not catch myself on fire or get electricuted all just did not appeal to me. Just hand over the credit card... lol!
True to that. I am a huge fan of doing work myself, but within my limits. Welding structural is definitely not something I will do myself. However, I was told my exhaust needed replacing. Nothing a welder and an hour couldn’t fix.

Reactions: Hound Dog