How can I determine if I have death wobble?

smurphy

I don't believe my jeep has it, but I want to make sure it doesn't. My sons is taking it to college I want to make sure it's safe. Is there a way to try to get it to happen like a test or something? We are already replacing a lot of things already so what's a few more things lol.

You’d know it if you had it without specifically trying to induce it.

Drive 45 mph over a very bad pothole on a curve.

Do a dry steer test. Have someone sit in the Jeep and turn the steering wheel 180 degrees back and forth. Look at the front end while they are doing that and keep an eye out for loose components in the steering linkage and front suspension

Do a dry steer test. Have someone sit in the Jeep and turn the steering wheel 180 degrees back and forth. Look at the front end while they are doing that and keep an eye out for loose components in the steering linkage and front suspension
We'll try that. Hadn't had any problems but can't hurt to check

When I had death wobble, it was triggered when going 40-50km/hr and 1 tire hitting a bump/pothole.
The whole Jeep shook violently, and it initially felt like the pistons from the engine were about to shoot themselves out of the Jeep. There was no guessing if it was/was not death wobble. You definitely KNOW.

In my opinion, it's not vague like "how do I know I'm in love?"
It's more of "how do I know I just hit my thumb with a hammer?" kind of answer.

I guess there are different levels to death wobble and/or safety. I'd say if you can hit potholes at highway speed safely, then you probably do not have death wobble.

x3 you’ll know you have it !
I can remember my first time now. Scary as f**k especially if you have to stop for a stop light and there’s a car in front of you.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1480901698981.jpg

I definitely have never felt it. I just want to know how to prevent it from happening. Catch it before it's an issue.

I definitely have never felt it. I just want to know how to prevent it from happening. Catch it before it's an issue.
I'm not really sure you can. I only got it once, and is was due to way out of spec toe in. If nothing seems worn in the suspension, then I'd just let it be. If it happens, it happens, it shouldn't cause a wreck, but it does suck really hard.

I'm not really sure you can. I only got it once, and is was due to way out of spec toe in. If nothing seems worn in the suspension, then I'd just let it be. If it happens, it happens, it shouldn't cause a wreck, but it does suck really hard.
Same issue I had, installed some 1.5” level spacers and change the toe, hit some railroad tracks and got a hell of a wake up call. I fixed that real quick.

Sounds good. I'll let my son know what it is and what to expect. If it happens and I hope it doesn't we will deal with it then. I guess I'm an over protective dad. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
It’s not like a heart murmur.

It’s not lurking in there , it’s going to happen when you have the right combination of wear and cause, cause being an out of balance tire , under inflated tire or hard hit .

Basically the steering system moves left to right radically as the gyro effect and caster is pulling it back toward center , which it is then overcome by the movement energy the worn parts allow . It can also be explained as a failure to track technically.

It’s almost always with oversized tires , because the oversize tires are typically way bigger than the steering system is designed to handle. Also the tires typically accelerate the parts wear.

I’ve worked on TJ’s with stock tires and higher mileage ..,they hold up very , very well.

It can happen without worn parts , but throw some on if it doesn’t. ...makes it way more exciting.