How can I prevent someone from releasing parking brake?

Richard Brust

OK, I have a 98 TJ with the hand/pull parking brake (also have a YJ with the foot/push brake), and was wondering if there's some device like "the club" for steering wheels, but for the hand-brake? I run w/o doors and top 6 months or more throughout the year, and both are stick shifts.

For the TJ hand brake, I was thinking there should be some triangular "ratchet" device that wedges in to the open space, and you then lock it open as far as the hand brake is pulled up. For a foot brake i have no bright ideas right now.

Thanks...

Seems like something you could fabricate without much difficulty. For the hand brake perhaps a chunk of plate that goes onto the slot of the center console and has a hole drilled in the top, as well as drilling a hole in the hand brake. Then put a small padlock through the hole to connect em.

For the foot brake, make a J shaped section of plate so it can hook around the pedal. Then bold a small L bracket to the floor, again drill matching holes and put a padlock through.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Are you worried about someone pooping the brake off and sabotaging the Jeep?

Yes, if someone "poops" the brake off, the $#!t will hit the fan. Seriously, it's somewhat of a "don't want them to mess around" combined with a safety issue. What if it's on an incline and it rolls back into another car/house/person/etc?

Around town, prob not an issue, but if I ever drove to the big city (we're near Sacramento) or my kids take it to Chico (college town with many students majoring in How to be an Idiot), you never know if someone is drunk enough to say "wonder what would happen if we...?"

Yes, if someone "poops" the brake off, the $#!t will hit the fan. Seriously, it's somewhat of a "don't want them to mess around" combined with a safety issue. What if it's on an incline and it rolls back into another car/house/person/etc?

Around town, prob not an issue, but if I ever drove to the big city (we're near Sacramento) or my kids take it to Chico (college town with many students majoring in How to be an Idiot), you never know if someone is drunk enough to say "wonder what would happen if we...?"
A prankster would have to jump from a moving vehicle to release the brake which seems a highly unlikely scenario. Like @JeepZilla380 says, curb your wheels properly and you wont have issues.

Reactions: rasband
Is there an anchor point to use a cable lock like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010IBDS04/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I don't think so, but I actually did think about looping something over the roll-bar, but there would prob be too much movement at the handle to really keep it secure.

Also:
1. regarding "In all my years ..." - true... in the 5+ years I've had it, no one has messed with it, so maybe I'm just unnecessarily worrying (first-world issues I guess), and
2. regarding "A prankster would have to jump from a moving vehicle " - not at all, it's not even an arms length to the hand brake, you don't even have to lean in really to release it - I do it all the time in the garage when I'm pushing it around.

2. regarding "A prankster would have to jump from a moving vehicle " - not at all, it's not even an arms length to the hand brake, you don't even have to lean in really to release it - I do it all the time in the garage when I'm pushing it around.
Forgot not everybody has full doors, my mistake.

Yeah, if I know I'm going downtown, I'm not taking the jeep.

Reactions: rasband
Also cut your wheels towards the curb on a down hill, or away park on the uphill. Atleast that way your Jeep can only roll so far.

In all my years parking Jeeps with the top and doors off Ive never had anyone mess with my parking brake.

This is what I always do. My Jeep is parked on a hill at my house most of the time so I just turn the wheel into the curb so even without the parking brake it isn’t going anywhere

For short periods of time you can use a hydraulic line lock to engage the service brakes. I wouldn't trust that overnight though. And with the engine off you'd want the manual kind instead of the solenoid kind to prevent battery drain

I think this is what your after mate....Amazon to the rescue ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EM0NGM/?tag=tjforum0a-21
41cnzsHi-sL.jpg

I think this is what your after mate....Amazon to the rescue ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EM0NGM/?tag=tjforum0a-21

View attachment 99930

(y)🤩👏🏆 I was going to invent something and become a millionaire - but now I see someone beat me to it. However Amazon says:
No sellers are currently delivering this item to the United States.

... but I found some on eBay - 4x as much, but I found them. Thanks much - again, this is not really b/c I'm worried about my Jeep, I'm worried about what it would do to something else if someone felt like being an a-hole.

People being a$$holes are everywhere.... I remember being in my Jeep doors off going through town and a drunk guy jumps in the passenger seat while Im at the lights..scared the shit out of me as I wasn't expecting it...turns out he wanted a another drunk mate of his to take a pic...Lights turns green and he jumped out quicker than he jumped in.

I have seen this done to military trucks in order to make them theft proof.
Find a short, perhaps 4" long stick of pipe that fits over the parking brake lever. Weld a length of chain to it. Place the Jeep in park with p-brake fully applied. Run the chain back to something solid(seat base, etc.) and shorten the chain so it's tight, then padlock the end of the chain so that the parking brake cannot be released.

(y)🤩👏🏆 I was going to invent something and become a millionaire - but now I see someone beat me to it. However Amazon says:
No sellers are currently delivering this item to the United States.

... but I found some on eBay - 4x as much, but I found them. Thanks much - again, this is not really b/c I'm worried about my Jeep, I'm worried about what it would do to something else if someone felt like being an a-hole.

Hi -
I found this listing on Ebay - a little more than the original post but not by much :)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=392313528246

Reactions: Richard Brust
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

I had my former YJ at chico state and nobody messed with it. (Soft top or no top) I would say turn to the curb and walk away. I've also had my tj topless in San Francisco and Sacramento without issue. I would be more worried about some low life popping the hood and taking the battery.

Let your son know there is lots of exploring up near cohasset. Lots of logging roads and even a cliff near the old helipad we would shoot clays off of.