How can I protect my paint from angle grinder spray?

mikey3288

Hey everyone,

The PO had welded a hood hoop on to the fenders and frame (pics attached). I'm not a huge fan of the hood hoop and want to remove it. My initial thought was to use an angle grinder to cut and then sand it down but as you can tell from the photos it's quite close to the grill and body. Through my research it seems that angle grinder "spray" can cut through paint and cause rust spots, it also can destroy glass. All things I'd prefer to avoid 😅

I wanted to see if anyone has any advice on how to protect the paint/body if I were to use an angle grinder? Or if there's a better method to remove the welds?

PXL_20211110_214126479.jpg

PXL_20211110_214142884.jpg
PXL_20211110_214150423.jpg

PXL_20211110_214159496.jpg

Bonus question! I'm planning to change the rear diff oil and noticed the pumpkin seems like it has quite the downward angle. I tried to take the photo at a 0 degree angle to show the downward angle. Do I need to jack up the rear to try and level it out a little more before putting new diff oil in? Any help on either topic is greatly appreciated!

PXL_20211110_214047912.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
Your aftermarket diff cover has a raised plug. It actually looks too high. IMO, the oil level should only be up to the bottom of the axle shafts.
I'm sure others will chime in.

Getting rid of that hood hoop (is that really a term?) will help from a distance but it looks like you're going to need to close up the holes that are left where it connects to the fenders. A welding blanket may be all that helps with that but at least you'll be able to cut the patch pieces from that ugly hoop thingy.

Reactions: Apparition
Hey everyone,

The PO had welded a hood hoop on to the fenders and frame (pics attached). I'm not a huge fan of the hood hoop and want to remove it. My initial thought was to use an angle grinder to cut and then sand it down but as you can tell from the photos it's quite close to the grill and body. Through my research it seems that angle grinder "spray" can cut through paint and cause rust spots, it also can destroy glass. All things I'd prefer to avoid 😅

I wanted to see if anyone has any advice on how to protect the paint/body if I were to use an angle grinder? Or if there's a better method to remove the welds?

View attachment 289769
View attachment 289772View attachment 289771

View attachment 289770

Bonus question! I'm planning to change the rear diff oil and noticed the pumpkin seems like it has quite the downward angle. I tried to take the photo at a 0 degree angle to show the downward angle. Do I need to jack up the rear to try and level it out a little more before putting new diff oil in? Any help on either topic is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 289774
It never ceases to amaze me what people do to their Jeep’s. 🙄

Open the hood, use anything you can get between the grill and the hoop, cut and grind away. Tiny flakes of metal can get embedded in the clear coat. You can remove them using a product like Iron- X

1636648905477.jpeg

I am with you. On my jeep I think I'm going to cut the loops off the headlights and cut the stinger off just above the cross piece that mounts the winch.

Cheap welding blanket or cardboard as mentioned above. Those welds don’t look to tough, it shouldn’t be too hard to get it off. Cut it off above the weld to get it out if the way, then clean up the bumper. Done deal

Wet cardboard and just be careful where you aim the spray. Use a cutting disk not a grinding disk.

Looks like the resulting holes will leave you with a couple nice rod holders