How can I tell if my Rubicon Moab wheels are authentic?

wcarson89

Supporting Member
I recently purchased a 2002 wrangler X with what appeared to be Rubicon Moab wheels. The seller claims to have purchased and added these during their ownership. The only thing is that after having owned the jeep for 2 weeks now, I find it increasingly unlikely that the seller would have forked over the cash for authentic Rubicon Moab wheels. I'd rather not get in to all the reasons why I think this is the case so let's set that aside for now...

These wheels have a "JEEP" center cap but I imagine that would be pretty easy to duplicate. Is there any way to definitively tell if these are authentic or replicas?

Thanks

Here's what the back of an authentic Moab wheel looks like:

IMG_2608.JPG

There isn't anything special or valuable about those wheels, the aftermarket ones are the same. Their value is really just based on their condition.

They are a lovely wheel in the wrong size. Can't wait to get rid of mine.

What's the best size? 15" or 17". Why are 16" wheels the wrong size?

It's an increasingly obsolete wheel size. Tire costs are higher and selection is limited compared to other wheel sizes.

15" and 17" are far more common. The world seems to be moving towards 17", for better or worse.

Having 16's is making my search for a C rated all-terrain tire really difficult. I can almost justify the incremental cost to do a completely new wheel-tire combo

Reactions: MutantNinjaTJ
It's an increasingly obsolete wheel size. Tire costs are higher and selection is limited compared to other wheel sizes.

15" and 17" are far more common. The world seems to be moving towards 17", for better or worse.
So I want to run 35" in the future but wanted to know which rim size had the most tire options? 15", 17", 18"? Of course the Jeep TJ is leading towards weekend camping rig. Doing mostly highway and fire roads. I currently running 15" but I could change the rims if I can more options and cheaper tire prices.

So I want to run 35" in the future but wanted to know which rim size had the most tire options? 15", 17", 18"? Of course the Jeep TJ is leading towards weekend camping rig. Doing mostly highway and fire roads. I currently running 15" but I could change the rims if I can more options and cheaper tire prices.

After owning both 15 and 17 inch wheels on various jeeps, overall choices seem about the same but price wise 15’s are generally cheaper. Example my STT Pros for my 17 inch wheels versus for my 15 inch wheels was almost $30 a tire different. Adds up over 5 tires. That’s probably not true for all brands but In my case 15s was they way to go. Also need to be mindful if you ever upgrade brakes in the future too. I’m Stock for now but seen some guys running big brake kits on here and not sure if they need to be 17s to clear or not.

10 Methods Scientists Use
  • Camel on Your Knife
  • Locked Away DNA
  • The Secret Life of Dung
  • Nuclear Forensics
  • Chemical Warfare
  • The Magnetic Fields
  • Ice Cores
  • Pollen
  • Volcanic Ash
  • Thermoluminescence
Number 10. Is the hardest to get to lined up but I hope this helps

Boy, I can hardly fit a medium sized house cat🐈 on MY knife. How the hell would you fit a camel🐫 on one?

I find it increasingly unlikely that the seller would have forked over the cash for authentic Rubicon Moab wheels.
Just as an FYI, I paid $100 for five (5) used authentic Moabs with tires on them. A lot of folks part ways with their factory Moabs and bc this phenomonon is so prevalent among TJ and LJ owners, the going bid is pretty low most of the time.