How clean should a contractor be?

Jack it up and cut in a double LVL header that essentially is even with that platform and remove the studs underneath - except the jacks for the header obviously

that's the plan. I just wish they would have done that to start with. They could have put that joist (red) inside the wall instead of backing it, and saved both material and my trouble.

1659731356567.png

Reactions: NWPA Jeepy T
Good Job ! 37 years ago my wife and I built our house in 2 1/2 years , it was the ONLY way we could afford a home.
Excavation , Concrete, framing, plumbing , electrical were all learned and applied by books and OJT. I farmed out the sheetrock and finish since we were expecting the birth of our first born , ( unplanned of course ! ). The only thing I had built before that was a tree house as a kid.
Are there things I would do differently today , damn right I would ! But I do thoroughly enjoy the fact that every issue in our house was caused my ME.
We didn't build a normal house, it is a superinsulated two story home framed with 2X12 's . The cost for the home , power, septic, water cistern was about
the same cost as a new 85 Corvette. Times have changed. Good to know there are other owner built homes out there !

This was totally my dream, but we've about given up due to silly HOA reqmts and city permitting. It's a freaking nightmare to try & do something yourself these days. One has to wonder how much $$$ talks because we pass new modern homes being built next to historic pre 1900 mansions just 10-20 blocks form here. It's like, ok, how did that even get approved, and so fast!?!

20+ years. Not as successful, organized or positive minded as Andy, but I love building and take care of my customers. I DO have a "warranty" period on my jobs, but that's more to stop the leeches. 85% of my work is decks, and I don't care how precise you are, miters don't stay closed when the temps go from 10° - 90+°.

That is awesome and on exterior miters- I avoid them everywhere possible. They do not work.

We have our shortcomings and there are days we should not be allowed to have hammers- I just do my best and continually try to hold my own standards.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Good Job ! 37 years ago my wife and I built our house in 2 1/2 years , it was the ONLY way we could afford a home.
Excavation , Concrete, framing, plumbing , electrical were all learned and applied by books and OJT. I farmed out the sheetrock and finish since we were expecting the birth of our first born , ( unplanned of course ! ). The only thing I had built before that was a tree house as a kid.
Are there things I would do differently today , damn right I would ! But I do thoroughly enjoy the fact that every issue in our house was caused my ME.
We didn't build a normal house, it is a superinsulated two story home framed with 2X12 's . The cost for the home , power, septic, water cistern was about
the same cost as a new 85 Corvette. Times have changed. Good to know there are other owner built homes out there !

Foam is so expensive here, I've thought about 2x12 walls with R38 in them. The air transfer requirements are so crazy now with the 2018 IRC code in effect here now

That is awesome and on exterior miters- I avoid them everywhere possible. They do not work.

We have our shortcomings and there are days we should not be allowed to have hammers- I just do my best and continually try to hold my own standards.

We always take care of our customers. 3 man show (if you count my son who doesn't want to do what dad does, but I pay well and we have fun), but we get it done. 50 now and finally seeing everything paying off. There were a lot of rice and beans years!!

Reactions: FJQue
Foam is so expensive here, I've thought about 2x12 walls with R38 in them. The air transfer requirements are so crazy now with the 2018 IRC code in effect here now

It works well for low tech !, We ran a .006 poly vapor barrier on the inside to tighten up the air infiltation . It is labor intensive to properly seal it up but I had more time than money. Our wall section outside to in is 3/4 cedar vertical boards, 1/2 " 5 ply CDX plywood, 2X12 douglas fir framing , (2) 6" layers of R-19 fiberglass with the electrical wiring between them, .006 poly vapor barrier, 1/2 sheetrock, knockdown texture paint.

My Application at 9000+ ft. elevation doesn't require active cooling, and our RH is low compared to most areas of the county. Any moisture in the wall section
can dry out to the outside.

It works well for low tech !, We ran a .006 poly vapor barrier on the inside to tighten up the air infiltation . It is labor intensive to properly seal it up but I had more time than money. Our wall section outside to in is 3/4 cedar vertical boards, 1/2 " 5 ply CDX plywood, 2X12 douglas fir framing , (2) 6" layers of R-19 fiberglass with the electrical wiring between them, .006 poly vapor barrier, 1/2 sheetrock, knockdown texture paint.

My Application at 9000+ ft. elevation doesn't require active cooling, and our RH is low compared to most areas of the county. Any moisture in the wall section
can dry out to the outside.

dang dude. Do you have to run heat in the winter or does your breath and body heat keep it warm enough in there? :ROFLMAO:

I'd love to have something like that but
1659735652924.png

• Wow
Reactions: FJQue and sab
dang dude. Do you have to run heat in the winter or does your breath and body heat keep it warm enough in there? :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 348554

If I'm building a house, I'm sure not getting lumber at Lowes!! My local yard treats me really well!! Plus delivery is still only $25 a load

Reactions: FJQue and sab
Stop triggering me, freedom_in_4low! The mezzanine I'm building for my shop is actually a true second floor. The first floor is 30' by 40' with 10' studs, and the second floor requires about 100 14' 2x12 joists. I haven't even started to price that lumber, yet...

View attachment 348554

The heat loss evaluation shows I need 218 btu s of heat per degree difference ( delta T ) of inside to outside.
So if it's minus 25F. outside and 75F. inside we need to use 21,800 btu s per hour from our Harman pellet stove.
The house is 1400 sq. ft.

You do use more heat on extremely windy days , but most of the time 2 people , the fridge , lights, etc takes care of the heat well into the heating season.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Back in the day when I was a working Journeyman carpenter we always cleaned up after ourselves and it helped if we had an apprentice or 2.
Times are changing. I’m helping my buddy build a 4200 sq ft home in Idaho. When we started in May we had trouble getting the subs to show up and some wanted more money to do so. Now in the beginning of Aug we are getting other subs calling or showing up to see if they can get work. The drywall sub just lowered his price $5K. Neighbors in this small development are all developers down in Boise and most have stoped all their activity and are waiting things out. We are also seeing material prices come down some.

What's up with those triple threat studs? Never seen that..?

I agree though, pieces of PVC, 1/3 rack of nails nor romex splices bother me, but your got damned Mountain Dew bottle better not become a habit. Funny story, back in 2005 I was helping a bud finish his house and one of the sheet rockers kept going up in his giant blacked in attic every day for like a week and pooping in a bucket, then leaving that bucket upstairs on a piece of plywood, no shit, pun intended.

Funny story, years ago a plumber buddy of mine was doing a job and had his toilets unboxed ready for install. He came to install and one of the drywallers had used one of the toilets. When the left for the day he proceeded to piss in the box of screws. Guess where they were holding them when he came to the job the next day. 😁