How do I deal with a leaking charcoal canister?

Aufieri

How are you guys dealing with Vacuum canisters leaking charcoal? I went to changePurge Valve and charcoal came out. No one has a replacement. A internet search came up with a universal but of course no one has it

The charcoal canisters for '97 models are obsolete and have been for a while now. There are some others that can be used as a substitute.

The only one I could find…. I did buy it and it works great!
they will probably have to order it… took 3 days to get it

Autozone Duralast vapor canister VC120

https://www.autozone.com/engine-management/vapor-canister/p/duralast-vapor-canister-vc120/239708_0_0
it fit in the bracket (canister is longer so remove the pointed end of the bracket so it fits) and some say you need a zip tie for the hoses but my hoses were long enough that I trimmed the end that goes on the canister and it fit snug… that’s it!

plan on replacing the purge valve also… I took mine apart and cleaned it and thought it was good enough but within a week it was throwing a code again… replaced the purge valve and have been code free for 4 months!

Last edited:
The reason the charcoal filters fail is the element inside degrades and starts to fall apart. Sending small pieces into the EGR system and clogging it up. Chances are a used one is failing or will soon fail as well.

The only one I could find…. I did buy it and it works great!
they will probably have to order it… took 3 days to get it

Autozone Duralast vapor canister VC120

https://www.autozone.com/engine-management/vapor-canister/p/duralast-vapor-canister-vc120/239708_0_0
it fit in the bracket (canister is longer so remove the pointed end of the bracket so it fits) and some say you need a zip tie for the hoses but my hoses were long enough that I trimmed the end that goes on the canister and it fit snug… that’s it!

plan on replacing the purge valve also… I took mine apart and cleaned it and thought it was good enough but within a week it was throwing a code again… replaced the purge valve and have been code free for 4 months!
same part number i gave him on the other thread !

Last edited:
Reactions: 97JadeTJ