How do I determine how much lift my TJ has?

Dcook65

TJ Enthusiast
PO installed a budget lift on my 2001 tj. How do I determine the amount of lift. I think it is about 2-2.5”. Also, I want to install new ft sway bar links. Will stock links fit or what do I need to ask for?

Taken from this thread:
How much suspension lift do I have?

Below are the approximate heights of various TJ coil springs when sitting at ride height with the weight of the Jeep on them. The measurements are from the very top of the spring where it meets the isolator or coil bucket to the very bottom of the spring (again where it meets the isolator or coil mount).

tj-coil-spring-measurements-jpg.jpg

Taken from this thread:

Below are the approximate heights of various TJ coil springs when sitting at ride height with the weight of the Jeep on them. The measurements are from the very top of the spring where it meets the isolator or coil bucket to the very bottom of the spring (again where it meets the isolator or coil mount

Mine has a hocky puck looking rubber mount on top of the spring.

Measure the spring first, then see what it says on the chart above. Then measure the coil spring spacer (which is what that puck is). If it turns out the spring equals a 2" lift and that hockey puck is 1", then you have a 3" lift.

Reactions: Dcook65
Ok, measures at 13” as best I can tell plus 2” spacer. Hard to measure the spring with spacer above. PO said he “thought it was 2”. Sway bar links are 10 center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole. Any other way to tell lift?

Ok, was ableto get a better measurement on reas. Springs measure 11” no spacer back there. So looks like 3” lift. Why spacer in front and not in rear?

Ok, was ableto get a better measurement on reas. Springs measure 11” no spacer back there. So looks like 3” lift. Why spacer in front and not in rear?

That means that there was probably a large rake in the rear, and the rear springs sat considerably higher, so they added spacers to the front to level it out.

It's the poor mans way of doing things. The proper way would just be to buy a set of good springs and run no coil spring spacers at all.

Talked to Rough Country. They say the numbers on shocks indicate a 2.5 inch lift kit.
That means that there was probably a large rake in the rear, and the rear springs sat considerably higher, so they added spacers to the front to level it out.

It's the poor mans way of doing things. The proper way would just be to buy a set of good springs and run no coil spring spacers at all.
it was all done before I got it. Didnt make sence to me either. Looks like they bought a cheap Rough Country 2.5 lift and had to play around to get it level.

I just measured mine. I have the standard OME 2.5 inch springs (not the heavy duty ones) and I have virtually no lift, maybe half an inch. And that includes 3/4 inch spacers at the rear. Admittedly, I have aftermarket bumpers, a winch, the hardtop and some other junk, but doesn't it seem strange I have no lift at all? Would the heavy duty springs make that much of a difference?

Taken from this thread:

Below are the approximate heights of various TJ coil springs when sitting at ride height with the weight of the Jeep on them. The measurements are from the very top of the spring where it meets the isolator or coil bucket to the very bottom of the spring (again where it meets the isolator or coil mount).

View attachment 75856

This is massively helpful. The PO that sold to my son and I said a 3.5" Rancho Lift was installed. I've put on new Savvy Control Arms, a full ZJ Tie Rod upgrade and Draglink Refresh goes in this weekend, adjustable sway bar disconnects and all new bushings on, adjustable front track bar on. I'm going to need new tires....maybe this spring or so and gonna put 35's on this 05. I've read your thread numerous times and getting there, getting there slowly.

I want to make sure I'm measuring correctly here, I'm seeing 16" measure front.
I'm seeing 10" rear. Doesn't add up, there is an aftermarket rear bumper, but also an aftermarket Front and Winch.

I measured the flare height as well (means nothing other than it's basically a level setup) and they are tube high. I'm trying to calculate if I really need to be higher to fit 35s, but need to square the measurements first.

Front
Front.jpgFront Close.jpg

Rear

Rear close.jpgRear.jpg

Fender

Fender Height Front.jpgFender Height rear.jpg

Last edited:
This is massively helpful. The PO that sold to my son and I said a 3.5" Rancho Lift was installed. I've put on new Savvy Control Arms, a full ZJ Tie Rod upgrade and Draglink Refresh goes in this weekend, adjustable sway bar disconnects and all new bushings on, adjustable front track bar on. I'm going to need new tires....maybe this spring or so and gonna put 35's on this 05. I've read your thread numerous times and getting there, getting there slowly.

I want to make sure I'm measuring correctly here, I'm seeing 16" measure front.
I'm seeing 10" rear. Doesn't add up, there is an aftermarket rear bumper, but also an aftermarket Front and Winch.

I measured the flare height as well (means nothing other than it's basically a level setup) and they are tube high. I'm trying to calculate if I really need to be higher to fit 35s, but need to square the measurements first.

Front
View attachment 183601View attachment 183599

Rear

View attachment 183605View attachment 183606

Fender

View attachment 183607View attachment 183608

While the front is measuring 16", not all of that is the spring. Someone has what looks to be a 2" spacer in the front. I'm guessing that is a 2" lift, and someone added a 2" spacer to the front to compensate for a serious rake.

While the front is measuring 16", not all of that is the spring. Someone has what looks to be a 2" spacer in the front. I'm guessing that is a 2" lift, and someone added a 2" spacer to the front to compensate for a serious rake.

So effectively a 4" in the front and 2 - 2.5" (need to maybe get more detailed measure I think I'm a hair off) in the back. That sits even. Need to start researching why that would be. I'd like to get new springs and take that spacer out, and get a 4" on the rear. Thanks for the look.

So effectively a 4" in the front and 2 - 2.5" (need to maybe get more detailed measure I think I'm a hair off) in the back. That sits even. Need to start researching why that would be. I'd like to get new springs and take that spacer out, and get a 4" on the rear. Thanks for the look.

That's what it appears. That is very odd though to say the least. I mean it must have had one hell of a rake.

Hoping maybe someone is still following this thread. I'm also trying to figure out what lift the PO added. Based on measurements it appears to be 5" front (4" spring + 1" spacer) and 3" on the rear. It rides pretty level with 33s but wondering what you think. I was given some Quadratec shocks (for 2-3" lift) and installed them before realizing how much lift was on the front. They went on fine but now concerned. Does too short of a shock create an issue only at full extension?
20210805_135613.jpg
20210805_135627.jpg

Hoping maybe someone is still following this thread. I'm also trying to figure out what lift the PO added. Based on measurements it appears to be 5" front (4" spring + 1" spacer) and 3" on the rear. It rides pretty level with 33s but wondering what you think. I was given some Quadratec shocks (for 2-3" lift) and installed them before realizing how much lift was on the front. They went on fine but now concerned. Does too short of a shock create an issue only at full extension?View attachment 269686View attachment 269687
it would depend on your bumpstops, if your bump stops are incorrect, you'll bottom out your shocks

Hoping maybe someone is still following this thread. I'm also trying to figure out what lift the PO added. Based on measurements it appears to be 5" front (4" spring + 1" spacer) and 3" on the rear. It rides pretty level with 33s but wondering what you think. I was given some Quadratec shocks (for 2-3" lift) and installed them before realizing how much lift was on the front. They went on fine but now concerned. Does too short of a shock create an issue only at full extension?View attachment 269686View attachment 269687
First, I’d measure again. Doesn’t look like 5” lift in front. Front stock is 12”. Measure the spring and any spacer, but not including the coil spring isolator at the top. Rear stock is 8”. Measure the same way there. Second, you buy shocks for actual lift height and you want to ride in the middle of the shock travel so you have a 50:50 up, down travel bias. This will give you the best ride and overall performance. Third, you have to cycle your suspension and set bumpstops for shocks or tires or whatever hits first. Fourth, you should’ve bought Rancho 5000X shocks, not Quadratec.

I didn't buy the Quadratec shocks. They were included in the purchase because the old shocks were gone . I was measuring the isolator pad thinking it was a spacer. It was dark. So its just the 16" spring. Confirmed it with a local builder. Appears they did 4" in the front and 3" in the rear to get it to sit level.